Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

JK binding in front end

Old 12-30-2009, 05:12 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default JK binding in front end

I have a 2007 JK 2 door that I just lifted with a TF 4" kit with 35's. I have already replaced the rear drive shaft to compensate for the lift as well as putting a drop pitman arm on it. I had it aligned however when driving on the street I get a binding in the front end on certain angulated corners that I go in to. It almost feels as if the brakes are grabbing or the ESD is kicking in even though I usually turn it off. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Old 12-30-2009, 06:43 AM
JK Newbie

Thanks for the quick reply.
I did not install a drag link or flip kit, however the steering is actually very good and responsive.
The control arms remained stock. Would the ESP still activate even if it was turned off?
Thanks
Old 12-30-2009, 07:29 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by neffman398
Thanks for the quick reply.
I did not install a drag link or flip kit, however the steering is actually very good and responsive.
The control arms remained stock. Would the ESP still activate even if it was turned off?
Thanks
A 4" TF kit on a 2dr is almost a 6" kit. You need adjustable control arms so you can set your pinion/caster angles correctly. This will help improve overall handling/ride quality. Did you recenter the steering wheel when you did this lift?
Old 12-30-2009, 07:35 AM
JK Jedi Master

What's the backspacing on your wheels? If you have too much backspacing your tires will rub on the front lower control arms and may feel like binding or the esp engaging.
Old 12-30-2009, 07:42 AM
JK Enthusiast

As you will here a 4" TF lift on a 2 door is a lot of lift. You will need at least rear upper adjustable control arms for proper pinion angle and front lower adjustable controm arms to get your caster back in range. I'd get some Rock Krawler degree wedges to help straighten the rear springs also, They're $30.
Old 12-30-2009, 09:12 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Robar
What's the backspacing on your wheels? If you have too much backspacing your tires will rub on the front lower control arms and may feel like binding or the esp engaging.
I am running 4.53" of backspacing on the wheels with 1.25 wheelspacers all the around
Old 12-30-2009, 10:02 AM
JK Newbie

hey,

I had the same problem after a pro comp lift install. when i turned my steering wheel I would hear a slight pop and binding feel. It was my front track bar. the adjustable head has a lock nut, and when it was tightened the swivel head end on the track bar was left turned all the way to one side, therefore it could not articulate when turning the wheels. I loosened the lock nut, turned the head straight up and down, tightened the lock nut, good to go! If you do not have an adjustable track bar, this post will not apply
Old 01-02-2010, 11:30 AM
JK Newbie

Just a piece of info for anyone with a 2007 model. Go to your local Jeep dealer and have your ABS, CCN and TIPM flashed with upgraded programming from Service Bulletin 05-001-08(ESP disable feature for modified 4WD vehicles). This will allow you to turn off the ESP completely which took care of my problem. If you do a search for 2007 recalls on JK-Forum, you will find the above bulletin which you can print off and read to clarify any questions. I was advised that any lift of more than two inches will throw the ESP off and depending on the height of the lift and tire size you will have to have the Flash done. It was $85.00 and took around 2 hours to get the Flash completed but was well worth the time and money. 2008 and newer models already have the Flash upgrade installed so all you need to do is the key sequence per bulletin 05-001-08 to turn the ESP off.

Quick Reply: JK binding in front end