Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Jk bible?

Old 03-23-2012, 10:52 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jk bible?

Guys I bought my 2010 JK automatic sport with 35s and a lift. The more I read about axles/transfers cases/LSD etc the more paranoid I get about what was and wasn't done to the jeep. I REALLY want to know what I'm running but between my total lack of knowledge about this stuff and the overwhelming amount of info spread all over the site; I am wondering if there is a book out there I can thumb through for help?

If it helps I'm pretty mechanically savvy. I just have no idea about axles,transfer cases,and off road suspension.

I'm in Raleigh if anybody wants to have a few free beers and tell me what I have.
Old 03-23-2012, 11:11 PM
JK Freak

I would say this website is your closest bet to a JK bible. Let us know what you have and more than likely people will quickly chime in and will give you the low down on everything
Old 03-24-2012, 02:31 AM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by C0mf0rt
Guys I bought my 2010 JK automatic sport with 35s and a lift. The more I read about axles/transfers cases/LSD etc the more paranoid I get about what was and wasn't done to the jeep. I REALLY want to know what I'm running but between my total lack of knowledge about this stuff and the overwhelming amount of info spread all over the site; I am wondering if there is a book out there I can thumb through for help?

If it helps I'm pretty mechanically savvy. I just have no idea about axles,transfer cases,and off road suspension.

I'm in Raleigh if anybody wants to have a few free beers and tell me what I have.
You can request a build sheet from Jeep that will tell you how it left the factory. Most guys just throw a set of 35" tires and a lift to clear them. Unless the previous owner was a off road enthusiast that is probably where it stopped.

To know for sure if anything was done to the axles, gearing or lockers would require opening up the differential covers. This isn't a bad idea because would give you a chance to inspect and clean.

I am in Graham but work in the Durham / Raleigh area. Would be glad to give you a hand to poke around and see what you have there.
Old 03-24-2012, 04:20 AM
JK Newbie

Thanks! I might take you up on that if I can't figure it out soon.

My rear axle looks like this. So it's a Dana 44 right? If so... what does that mean for me? Good? Good enough for 35's?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC04191.jpg
Views:	239
Size:	60.5 KB
ID:	294482  
Old 03-24-2012, 05:00 AM
JK Freak

My rear axle looks like this. So it's a Dana 44 right? If so... what does that mean for me? Good? Good enough for 35's?
Disregard my comment.
Old 03-24-2012, 05:48 AM
JK Enthusiast

Wait is that you actual rear axle?
Old 03-24-2012, 05:58 AM
JK Enthusiast

Is that a RHD Jeep?
Old 03-24-2012, 06:25 AM
JK Newbie

Right hand drive? Nope.
Old 03-24-2012, 07:04 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Kmack84
Wait is that you actual rear axle?
x2? Those sure don't look like 35" tires in the pic.

EDIT: never mind. I just looked at the pic in your profile. Definitely not your axle in the picture. Go out to your Jeep and take a picture just like it of both the front and rear axles. That should be enough for everyone here to get you a pretty good idea of what you've got.

Last edited by dcharge74; 03-24-2012 at 07:11 AM.
Old 03-25-2012, 04:44 PM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Here is a quick reference guide:

Quick Reply: Jk bible?