Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

JK Automatic Transmission Problems?

Old 09-14-2016, 06:28 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To further clarify my issue... I have a 2014 JK automatic that I bought used with no mods. around 1800 rpm under normal acceleration there is a hesitation that acts like it is going to shift into second gear, then the RPMs pick back up and will then shift into second gear. during a harder acceleration the hesitation is still there, but it will wait until higher RPM to shift into second than under normal load. I hear this is a known issue with other owners. I had the dealer update the software with a flash and It worked great for 2 weeks then it started doing it again. Need Help on what this issue is!! Sensor, trans servo, ECU, Etc.
Old 09-14-2016, 07:26 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by mshahwan
You guys aren't crazy. Its a programming glitch. I have a 2015 Sahara 4dr with 8k.

when you climb steep hills transmissions holds the gear all the way up (4000rpm+). also shifts between 1-2 , 2-3 holds the gears for too long, followed by a significant rpm drop before shifting. acceleration while vehicle is moving, transmission hunts for proper gear, most times it will perform double shift.

no amount of driver relearn is going to fix this. but a module flash will.

all in all these are fantastic transmissions considering its predecessor. Very reliable with 25 years design cycle, tough as nails,

that is until you take it to the Chrysler dealership for fluid change, then its garbage
Why is it garbage after fluid change at dealership? What's the mileage one should change tranny fluid ?
Old 09-14-2016, 02:43 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by bo9roadking
The only complaint that I have with my 2012 auto is when I start accelerating slowly from a stop as if I'm trying to be conservative with the gas consumption. The transmission shifts too soon and causes the engine to hesitate until it gets more rpms. The transmission acts like it should downshift to get the rpms back up, but it doesn't. It holds second gear until the rpms are high enough for the shift to 3rd, but the torque isn't really enough to keep the jeep moving forward without hesitation. If I start off with a little more gas pedal, there isn't an issue because the transmission waits to shift until the rpms are higher.
You ever find a fix to this issue?
Old 10-06-2016, 04:13 AM
JK Newbie

Default 2012 JKU transmission problems

My transmission will kick out of all gears at normal operating temperature after some whining, shut off the vehicle for awhile and does the same. Only have 65,000 on it. Any ideas anyone?
Old 10-18-2016, 10:33 AM
JK-Forum Editor

Default How-To Tuesday

Great how-to topic for this week...
Jeep Wrangler JK 2007 to Present Automatic Transmission Diagnostic Guide - Jk-Forum
Old 08-01-2017, 02:24 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Blown-JK
Ever since I went to 37's regeared (4:88) and calibrated my auto it likes to hold gears too long. Especially 3rd and 4th under light to normal acceleration. I recently installed a Magneson supercharger and it's off the charts bad now. It will literally hold 4th gear at 5000 rpm's at about a 1/4 throttle until I let my foot completely off the gas. Then it finally shifts into 5th. It was never been this bad before. I assume part of the problem is the disconnecting of the battery and resetting the "learning" portion of the PCM. I first thought it was all related to the "tune" for the blower but because the problem was there before (just not as bad) I am leaning towards the continuous learning that I have read these vehicles do. I am super frustrated with that because we tool around slowly near the dunes where we wheel at or we are running WOT in the sand. It must confuse the hell out of the computer. I am always going from one extreme to another with it.

I would be okay with using the manual mode but that thing is absolutely worthless too. I was surprised to see that some people actually like it. The only thing it does is hold whatever gear you are in (that is of course until you hit redline and it up shifts for you anyway). If you try to up shift early under heavy or full throttle; say around 5000 rpm's it will hold the gear until it redlines anyway then up shifts. If you want to hold 2nd for example at, let's say 3300 rpm's then floor it, it will downshift to 1st on its own then return to 2nd where you had it in the first place. So I am still trying to figure exactly what the hell manual mode is even there for besides accidentally bumping the ridiculous left to right slap shifter and putting it in the wrong gear. Sorry for ranting I am just frustrated with the newer vehicles thinking and driving for me and not being able to turn all this crap off like the stability control, traction control, TPMS sensors, etc. The tuner that came with the Magneson does let me shut off some of these things but first I have to click my heals together 3 times, turn key on, wait, off then wait, spin in a circle twice, wait some more, then my instrument panel lights up like a Xmas tree until I turn my Jeep off and then the process starts all over again.

Yes after all my bitching I do have a question. does anybody know of a tuner that would "unlock" the manual mode on the transmission? Unfortunately there is not any transmission settings within the Diablo Trinity tuner that I have. It is probably an absolute pipe dream since it is becoming painfully apparent to me that I will need to acquire an M.I.T. degree to actually drive my Jeep. I am all for automatic transmissions but I am seriously regretting not buying a manual. I had no idea the programming / mapping had gotten so out of hand.
Hi! I currently have the same problem with my AT not shifting to 5th gear "suspending" at 5000 rpm. And it also happened after driving through the sand! Exactly like you did.
Pls let me know if you had finally "cured" this and did "re-programming" helped or not.
Thank U in advance for a promt answer.
Old 06-18-2018, 06:17 AM
JK Newbie

Default 2012 JKU Automatic trans shifting error

I have a 2012 JKU Rubicon with the auto transmission. I was wheeling this past weekend and started having intermittent issues with the transmission. While the selector was showing 1st gear, the transmission was actually in 2nd. When I shifted to 2nd it would shift down to 1st. Shift again into 1st (from the dashboard display) and it would upshift to 2nd. I would turn the ignition off and back on and it would start working as it should. This would end up happening 3-4 times during the course of the day. Checked the forums and didn't find any issues that matched.

Running 35s with 4:10 gears. Was up above 6000 ft in elevation, weather was low 70s. Had no warning lights or codes and fluid level looked good.

Quick Reply: JK Automatic Transmission Problems?