Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

JK Automatic Transmission Problem

Old 11-14-2014, 06:45 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default JK Automatic Transmission Problem

Hey everyone

I'm having a problem with my automatic transmission in my Jeep. The Jeep had approximately 71k on it and was used as a daily driver up until abo it 4-5 weeks ago.

I had a seized caliper a little while ago and i had to drive on it for a little while and it ended up putting a lot of stress on my tranny. I was driving on the highway and it started to seem like it was slipping in overdrive. I would let go of the throttle on the highway and then give it throttle again and it would Rev up a little and then engage. I came to a stop and when I went to accelerate the Jeep just revved up and the entire caught. I was on my way home so I babied it and it kept happening each time I stopped. I then got to an incline and it just revved up and my dash lit up. I finally got home and let it cool, and read the codes and it had gone into tranny protect mode. I changed the caliper that night and had left it for the next 2 days.

I then took it out and drove it around a bit and couldn't get it to replicate the problem. I drove it on and off for the next few weeks but didn't put too many miles on it. Then last weekend I was on my way out to Rausch Creek and 180 miles or so into the trip it would Rev up slightly on the highway. I immediately stopped at the next exit and when I came to a stop an dried to accelerate again it revved up a little and caught. I pulled it into a gas station checked the fluid which was fine and then let it sit for a few. I decided it might be best for me to head home instead of out to wheel....

I was very irritated and HAMMERED the jeep home.... I was moving and then 180 miles or so later arrived at my house without any problem. No slipping or issues all the way back....

I'm at a loss here.... I am thinking I maybe baked the trans fluid during my seized caliper episode and the fluid needs to be changed?

Has anyone experienced any problems like this? Maybe the fluid? Maybe electrical? Maybe gremlins?

Additionally does anyone know any good trans shops I can maybe bring this to in the Fairfield Connecticut area? Even into New York will be fine. I need this figure out!
Old 11-14-2014, 07:17 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hmm, what codes did it give ? TCM code ? What did the fluid look like ?
Old 11-14-2014, 07:22 PM
JK Newbie

It was a line pressure fault code. The fluid looks fine, slightly aerated though. Seems like it has a bit of bubbles in it.
Old 11-17-2014, 08:05 AM
JK Newbie

Anyone else have this problem. Got into it with the stealership when picking it up. They were useless.
Old 11-17-2014, 08:37 AM
JK Newbie

Why not start by doing a fluid and filter on it? If the fluid is suspect, I'd do the fluid/filter then drive it for a day or so then change the fluid again.
Old 11-17-2014, 09:24 AM
JK Enthusiast

Changing fluid and filter won't help anything. Take it into a transmission shop to see what code is and let them tell you what it needs
Old 11-17-2014, 12:15 PM
JK Newbie

I'm bringing it back to who did the filter and fluid change and they're going to reservice the trans. I think the filter might be clogged again. Felt like it did right before I got it done. Losing pressure and sloppy. The shop that did it said it's possible that the trans filter might be clogged with all the gunk it clean out of the trans after I did the last fluid/filter change due to the detergents and stuff in th trans fluid. Guess we will see

It's losing pressure that's all we know right now...
Old 11-17-2014, 04:06 PM
JK Enthusiast

Filter shouldn't be clogging up from s flush if it is thete doing it wrong. I work for s transmission shop. If it's clogging up trans internals could be coming apart and trans may have to be rebuilt

Quick Reply: JK Automatic Transmission Problem