Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

JK auto trans replacement

Old 05-17-2014, 05:53 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default JK auto trans replacement

Hello - new to the jeep world so pretty unfamiliar with part availability. I have a 2009 wrangler unlimited that I've managed to blow the trans on already (impressive). The dealer is quoting $3,250 for a Chrysler/jeep replacement (part only). Wondering if there is any upgraded transmissions that are available for these, or compatible replacements of better quality (ex. Ram trans maybe)?

I haven't looked into a rebuild yet, dealer says it is not rebuild able but I noticed it slipping and got it off the road within ten miles, can't imagine it's that shredded already.

Another thing - they said that the ac condenser also needs to be replaced because it's used to cool the trans and it has been damaged from the shrapnel. Not really understanding that one since I highly doubt they are sharing fluids???
Old 05-17-2014, 08:19 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There are a couple of places that do performance rebuilds and complete transmissions. You can search for them on this forum. I think ATS has one. At any rate I would think any reputable shop could rebuild yours or swap in a low mileage replacement. 2007 through 2011 are probably the same. Any yard with a Hollander interchange could tell you. As far as the condenser is concerned, the tranny cooler is integral to the condenser. So there is some truth to what they are saying. Depending on how you mod your jeep it could be bypassed and you could run an external stand alone cooler.

Quick Reply: JK auto trans replacement