Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Jerry Can fixture

Old 08-12-2007, 06:46 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jerry Can fixture

I'm thinking about getting a Jerry Can (for aesthetics and utility) but I can't figure out where I'd mount the fixture.

Has anyone done this to their JK or have any good ideas of where it could go? Would keeping in inside the vehicle (in the back) be safe or should that be avoided?
Old 08-12-2007, 07:33 AM
JK Enthusiast

Do not keep a gas can of any sort inside your vehicle. Try it once, you will know why I am saying this.

I fabbed my spare tire carrier to have a 1" receiver between the hub, then mounted the jerry can carrier to use the receiver to attach behind the carrier. Wish I had pics to share but I can't find my old pics after switching harddrives.

Imagine this (sorry for the bad ascii)

----
lllllllll
lllllllll__JJJ
lllllllllooJJJ
lllllllll...JJJ
lllllllll
----
Old 08-12-2007, 07:47 AM
JK Newbie

Not much room with the stock rear tire configuration. Less if you have a bigger tire (not stock). No aftermarket items that's I've seen so far unless you want to spend $900...

I've been thinking of an "over the tire" rig but the added weight with and a larger tire might be too much for stock rear tire carrier.

Don't mount the can inside. Although its unlikely that fumes will build up, there's no need to tempt fate and you'll lose any asthetics you were going for.
Old 08-12-2007, 10:02 AM
JK Freak

im fabricaing mine right now.
best simple solution I came up it to make a carrier like the one I had in my XJ
then remove the stock carrier and use the mounting bolts and to bolt on the carrier.

put the spare inside the jeep, "I have a 4 door"
then put a plywood on top of the tire making sourt of a compartment for
tire,tools,high lift, etc.,

here is a picture of the carrier from my x - xj

Another option is two build to can carriers and bolt one to the tail gate hinge bolts and the other one on the other side bolt from 2 of the stock carrier bolts
and then drill 2 aditional holes for the other 2 bolts ,,this way you can leave the tire and have one gas can on either side of the spar,

-------Dont know if it will handle the weight--__ but i seen jeeps with gas cans anchor to the tail gate and even a cooler on top and all bolted to the gate,,--so it might be ok------------------

Last edited by luisjg; 08-12-2007 at 10:05 AM.
Old 08-14-2007, 08:13 AM
JK Super Freak

That looks pretty solid luis.

I had an idea (might be a really bad one but here me out). What about the same kind of fixture you have luis, except for just one can, mounted on the driver side door?
Old 08-14-2007, 08:45 AM
JK Super Freak

Or would that just look awkward?

Quick Reply: Jerry Can fixture