Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

JeepSwag weld on rails

Old 01-21-2009, 09:45 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default JeepSwag weld on rails

Hey, just wondering if anyone has any experience with the JeepSwag weld on tubes for Rubicon rock rails, basically wondering about strength, fit etc. I Mainly want them as a step for my girlfriend and to protect the doors from dings. Also, I weigh about 250lbs, doubt I'll use them as a step but i might stand on them occasionaly for whatever reason, do you think they'll hold my weight without damaging the mounts? Here's a picture
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	rail2.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	80.4 KB
ID:	18109  
Old 01-21-2009, 09:50 AM
JK Super Freak

If you asking about the welds... they will be plenty strong. I don't know how thick the tubbing is and how strong the Rubi factory rails are. But if the rail is strong, should not be an issue.

Rails typically make lousy steps... in fact they can get in the way. If you want a step and rail, you are better off going to a frame mounted rail. The body mounted ones sit too high.
Old 01-21-2009, 10:43 AM
JK Super Freak

I have the Mopar rock rails that already have the tubes on them. I find that they work great for a step. I did add some traction tape to the tubes to keep the paint on the rails from getting destroyed and for better traction when using it as a step.
Old 01-21-2009, 11:29 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jckid
I have the Mopar rock rails that already have the tubes on them. I find that they work great for a step. I did add some traction tape to the tubes to keep the paint on the rails from getting destroyed and for better traction when using it as a step.
Do you know if the Mopar enhanced rails have any sort of strengthened mounting points? I had read somewhere that they did but when I looked at pictures the mountings looked the same as the stock rubicon mountings. I was leaning towards the Mopar enhanced rails but I thought if I could do the same thing with the rails I already own for half the price I might as well.
Old 01-21-2009, 12:56 PM
JK Newbie

I bought a set of rubicon rails myself and had one of my buddies do the exact same thing you are wanting done. I gave him $100 bucks for doing it. He used 1.75" OD tubing. The same stuff he builds racecar cages out of. Works great and works good as a step also. I painted them with the 3M undercoating for vehicles and they are holding up great.

Old 01-21-2009, 01:04 PM
JK Enthusiast

sweet, thanks for the help guys.
Old 01-21-2009, 01:06 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by nachoninja
Do you know if the Mopar enhanced rails have any sort of strengthened mounting points? I had read somewhere that they did but when I looked at pictures the mountings looked the same as the stock rubicon mountings. I was leaning towards the Mopar enhanced rails but I thought if I could do the same thing with the rails I already own for half the price I might as well.
They mount just like all of the Mopar options--regular Rubicon rails, plastic Sahara steps, ect.
Old 01-21-2009, 01:17 PM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Are the SWAG ones even in production yet? I thought I was on the waitin list, but maybe not.
Old 01-21-2009, 02:27 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jckid
They mount just like all of the Mopar options--regular Rubicon rails, plastic Sahara steps, ect.
Sorry, I know they mount in the same way, what I meant to ask was whether the mounting brackets are reinforced from the regular Rubicon rail mounting brackets. On the Mopar website it says the enhanced rails feature reinforced mounting brackets, I'm guessing to deal with the extra leverage from the tubes, whereas the regular rails say nothing. But I'm wondering if this is really true or if it's just something they say to get people to buy them. Thanks.

Quick Reply: JeepSwag weld on rails