Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Jeep wont start after lift

Old 01-04-2010, 02:28 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Jeep wont start after lift

Hi all,

Just finished lifting my jeep.
I was going to start it to turn the tires to check for rubbing and adjust my stops.

Jeep would not start. Everything works and turns on even keyless entry. It is an automatic.

There is no clicking (starter solenoid)
There is no turning.
It is an automatic.
I disconnected the J13 fuse for 30 secs (ignition) didnt work
I disconnected the WMS or whatever its called on the steering column didnt work
I checked the battery its at 12.5 volts so its strong enough to start
I disconnected the battery for a few mins the reconnect with no luck.

The only thing I did electronically for my lift was disconnect the battery, disconnect 4 of my oxygen sensors to remove the muffler and disconnect my abs. All of these are back on. I checked to make sure i didnt burn or cut any wires and it all looks good.

What do you think?
Old 01-04-2010, 02:43 PM
JK Junkie

Sounds obvious, but is it in neutral or park?
Old 01-04-2010, 02:46 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by metaulic
Hi all,

Just finished lifting my jeep.
I was going to start it to turn the tires to check for rubbing and adjust my stops.

Jeep would not start. Everything works and turns on even keyless entry. It is an automatic.

There is no clicking (starter solenoid)
There is no turning.
It is an automatic.
I disconnected the J13 fuse for 30 secs (ignition) didnt work
I disconnected the WMS or whatever its called on the steering column didnt work
I checked the battery its at 12.5 volts so its strong enough to start
I disconnected the battery for a few mins the reconnect with no luck.

The only thing I did electronically for my lift was disconnect the battery, disconnect 4 of my oxygen sensors to remove the muffler and disconnect my abs. All of these are back on. I checked to make sure i didnt burn or cut any wires and it all looks good.

What do you think?
Any Luck?

I have no real advice but did scour the web.

Some similar issues seem to have been remedied by-
-new key - the chip in the key went out
-terminals were not snug enough. retightened.
-new battery cured it.
-somehow starting it from neutral vs park cured/worked around it.

Good luck.
RB
Old 01-04-2010, 03:18 PM
JK Enthusiast

I sounds like the ignition thinks the Jeep is in gear. Try starting it in neutral.
Old 01-05-2010, 09:08 AM
JK Enthusiast

I have tried literally everything except disconnecting the sway bar to see if it will start (dont ask! just some stuff I read online). I am getting it towed! Hopefully they cover it under warranty eek! It has brand new 37s and new wheels and a new lift. Just too damned obvious to be covered under warranty even though i did no electronic mods on it. Ill fight it if i have to!
Old 01-05-2010, 10:51 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by metaulic
I have tried literally everything except disconnecting the sway bar to see if it will start (dont ask! just some stuff I read online). I am getting it towed! Hopefully they cover it under warranty eek! It has brand new 37s and new wheels and a new lift. Just too damned obvious to be covered under warranty even though i did no electronic mods on it. Ill fight it if i have to!
Whatever you do, don't tell them that you just did a modification to the vehicle and now it won't start. Even if it's unrelated, it could just cause a fight over warranty.
Old 01-05-2010, 12:18 PM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by bpohio
I sounds like the ignition thinks the Jeep is in gear. Try starting it in neutral.
i agree with this post. check your tranny connector to verify it is seated and all pins make contact.

the only things i can think of that would cause the computer to refuse to fire the starter are:

not in park or neutral according to the gear selector switch in tranny and related wires to computer-check all. may try moving the gear shifter while holding the key in start (and the brake) to see if your gear locations have shifted vs what the selector says ur in.

blown fuse

bad starter/solinoid-not likely but possible

key lost the matching code with jeep computer-no match-no start

i wonder if the hood switch could cause this? i know it prevents the remote start from working.

HEY! do u have remote start and if so when u try to activate it does the horn honk once or twice(once means the hood or doors are open or last time key was used the code was bad)

im throwing ideas out here as a last ditch effort-i hate loosing to jeep problems and having to rely on the Jeep experts! i.e. starscan

is it throwing a code?
Old 01-06-2010, 06:25 PM
JK Enthusiast

To finish off this post I found the problem. Starter wire was hanging loose all disconnected. I guess someone must have pulled it out by mistake or hit it with their elbow or a tool.

I had to pay $145 to plug in a damned starter wire at the dealership! But to tell you the truth I am happy it was only a starter wire and id ratherp ay $145 for that than pay them to flash my computer only to worry me that I bought a lemon ya know!

Thanks for your help all.
Old 01-06-2010, 06:39 PM
JK Newbie

same thing happened to me,, check the 10 amp mini fuse that goes to the door locks. mine blew and jeep wouldnt start. everything else worked but did not turn over. towed to dealer, they found the fuse and it worked. said it is a problem.

i carry extra fuses now

Quick Reply: Jeep wont start after lift