Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Jeep will not go past 3k RPMs

Old 04-29-2014, 06:52 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you say it wont even idle now, if its fuel pump -low pressure -you could spay carb cleaner in the throttle body and it should idle while spraying. that would confirm lack of fuel. is there a lightning bolt on,on the cluster? or ck engine light?.
your vehicle must have come with a 3/36 warranty and its still under 36k miles. even tho you've had it for 3 years if you call Chrysler I would bet you a dollar they would cover it for 100$ deductible and you already paid that. I doubt converter problems,it would still idle. my bet,fuel pump or a throttle body problem. your vehicle has a fly by wire throttle body, no cable, if you sucked water into the t-body you could have damaged it but normally a lightning bolt would show on the cluster. also if you have an abs or traction control light on,those systems can disable power to the
engine but would not affect idle.
Old 04-30-2014, 10:33 AM
JK Newbie

No check engine light and no codes present when I checked with my programmer. The dealership told me the fuel pump was not covered by the powertrain warranty. I pulled the throttle body and the plugs to check for water in the intake and motor. Dashboard has no lights on, tracion control light isn't on. Everytime I get feedback I wait a little longer before I go to the dealership and buy the pump. Im going to check on a pressure regulator and see how much that would be.
Old 04-30-2014, 10:37 AM
JK Super Freak

Can you get it to run when giving it throttle when parked? I heard a new TB needs to "learn" the Jeep. Maybe some fault happened to cause this?

New TB will only go to ~3K RPMs and each time you floor it, RPMs rise a little each time until it'll get into the 5K+ range. Worth a shot.
Old 04-30-2014, 10:43 AM
JK Newbie

It will not stay running at all now. When I crank it, it has that intial start for about a sec or two but when I try and give it gas it just dies.
Old 05-01-2014, 02:54 PM
JK Newbie

Check your catyilic converter if it's dying right away when you start it make sure you have exhaust flow
Old 11-18-2014, 04:36 PM
JK Newbie

Same thing is happening to my buddy's JK, did you ever solve your problem?
Old 11-18-2014, 05:38 PM
JK Super Freak

So, if you don't have a fuel pressure tested here is what you can do. There is a release value on the fuel rail, remove the plastic cap and push down on the valve while the key is in the on position. If you have fuel pressie it will spray hard. If not the spray will be weak. That will tell you that its a fuel problem. Repeat the process but wait 30 minutes after you turn the key off. If you significantly lost pressure its the pump, if you kept most of the pressure then its the fuel regulator. Just be careful as you are playing with gas.
Old 11-18-2014, 06:15 PM
JK Freak

Default Reboot

I think Bill Gates designed the JK's computers. I would try rebooting first. I've had a low battery cause my 2010 to go in limp (the other limp) mode. After disconnecting the battery for 10 minutes everything was back to normal (for a Jeep).
Old 11-18-2014, 08:18 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I had this happen when I used my Super Chips programer the first few times. If I made too many changes to tire sizes without doing a "return to factory" first, the Jeep would not exceed 3k and wouldn't upshift out of 3rd or so. Try resetting your factory settings on your Superchips programmer just to rule it out.

Quick Reply: Jeep will not go past 3k RPMs