Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Jeep wanders on road. Any ideas

Old 08-28-2011, 04:32 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Kojack
I'm only looking to fix this problem. I did not think a leveling kit would throw it off this much. I'm going to be upgrading the guts of my Drivetrain, skid plate everything, a new set of wheels close to stock spec, and some interior stuff. Oh, a set of rancho 9000 xl.

That's it for mods.
Did you measure the actual lift the leveling kit gave you? You wouldn't think that 2" would change much, but nothing else in that suspension grew to accommodate it. I installed mine along with the front coils out of my friends Rubi, and the net lift in front was nearly 3.25". After that my steering was very flighty.
Old 08-28-2011, 04:59 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jkwheelin
Tire pressure has that effect to, mine tends to do it if I have aired down & don't inflate them again before driving on the pavement, I run my 35's at 35lb on the made road, so food for thought
Mine was horrible when I first got new tires then checked the psi and they were 45 so I aired down to 32 and it was night and day difference in the road walking.
Old 09-20-2011, 11:53 AM
JK Junkie

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Air pressure was the culprit. Night and day difference.
Old 09-20-2011, 02:55 PM
JK Freak

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Kojack
Air pressure was the culprit. Night and day difference.

Amazing how common this is. When I bought my Jeep from the dealership, (it came with a 4.5" lift and 35x12.5" Toyo MT's) they had the air pressure set at 45psi. I drove around like that for several months not even realizing why my Jeep was wandering on the road...felt like you had to hold the steering wheel really tight on the highway or you were going to end up in the ditch. Now I have the psi set to 30 and it is way more stable on the road and much smoother over bumps as well. Again...night and day difference, and that is with all stock control arms.

Quick Reply: Jeep wanders on road. Any ideas