Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Jeep wanders on road. Any ideas

Old 08-28-2011, 03:20 AM
JK Junkie

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Jeep wanders on road. Any ideas

I have the teraflex leveling kit installed. I also installed 285 Cooper at maxx tires. I notice my jeep wanders a bit now and the front really grabs ruts in the road now and it gets tossed pretty good. Any alignment specs I can adjust? It was aligned at the dealership and they said I need shims to correct caster angles.

Any help would be appreciated.
Old 08-28-2011, 03:22 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Did you center the steering wheel?Caster can not be reset on the stock suspension... think you need lca's. Take a look at the project-jk. writeup section. everything you need is there from WOL
Old 08-28-2011, 03:29 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

http://project-jk.com/jeep-jk-write-...-end-alignment

Here is what you need.
Old 08-28-2011, 03:40 AM
JK Junkie

Maybe they are wrong with what needs to be adjusted. The wheel is centered. Would love to get that feeling of wandering out of it. I didn't think a leveling kit would affect anything. I have been blaming my tires. Maybe I will bring it to another place to get an alignment done.
Old 08-28-2011, 03:46 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Kojack
Maybe they are wrong with what needs to be adjusted. The wheel is centered. Would love to get that feeling of wandering out of it. I didn't think a leveling kit would affect anything. I have been blaming my tires. Maybe I will bring it to another place to get an alignment done.
Tire pressure has that effect to, mine tends to do it if I have aired down & don't inflate them again before driving on the pavement, I run my 35's at 35lb on the made road, so food for thought
Old 08-28-2011, 05:00 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 362 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by Kojack
There are two things that can be aligned on your stock Jeep suspension (understanding you have the leveling kit installed): Centering the steering wheel, and toe. Neither will take care of your Jeep's wandering. The dealer is correct that you need to adjust caster, but the best way to do that is with adjustable front lower control arms. Once you do that, go to the alignment procedure linked above and follow that procedure to take care of your wandering. If you want a shop to do the alignment, then take the numbers from that write-up linked above and tell them to use THOSE numbers--not the ones that the factory specifies.
Old 08-28-2011, 05:29 AM
JK Freak

You could also use AEV front drop brackets for the CA's. If you plan on not modding your jeep anymore than what it is. This will also be a little cheaper and effective. Also with the new tires and tread those will grab the road and ruts more noticeably. Especially the wider the tire
Old 08-28-2011, 06:34 AM
JK Freak

x2 on adjustable control arms - don't let the dealer install shims.

IMO, if your budget is not prepared for the ongoing minor inconveniences you are about to experience with ride and handling, I really suggest put it back to stock and save for a good base lift.

What is your final goal on suspension/lift for your Jeep?

If you decide to get adjustable front control arms, I recommend getting uppers so you only affect caster:

The front lower arms are used to either regain lost wheel base from a lift or to adjust the angle of the front axle for correct caster alignment, or both.

The front upper arms are used to adjust the angle of the front axle for correct caster alignment specs if the front lower arms were used to regain wheel base.

Last edited by jeeeep; 08-28-2011 at 06:38 AM.
Old 08-28-2011, 06:46 AM
Super Moderator

Received 83 Likes on 75 Posts

Also wider tires and off set wheels can cause wandering to a degree but from what you are running I don't think you are experiencing that
Old 08-28-2011, 04:00 PM
JK Junkie

I'm only looking to fix this problem. I did not think a leveling kit would throw it off this much. I'm going to be upgrading the guts of my Drivetrain, skid plate everything, a new set of wheels close to stock spec, and some interior stuff. Oh, a set of rancho 9000 xl.

That's it for mods.

Quick Reply: Jeep wanders on road. Any ideas