Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Jeep security...

Old 12-20-2009, 07:01 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jeep security...

I'm new here and new to the scene with an 09 Rubi. It was stolen last Thursday and recovered Friday. Passenger window smashed and hard top jacked. It was left at (get this) an off road parts store before it was called in.

Anyway, while I'm waiting for repairs, what are the top 3 security devices I can add? I need to add a lock to the hood as the battery was also disconnected when we found the jeep.

I'm glad to have her back in my carport, but, still...

Thanks for any info!
Old 12-20-2009, 07:09 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Unfortunately, no matter what you do, if they want it, they're getting it.

But wheel lock/lugs for the spare are on my list - just to make them work harder for it before they put it on their jeep.
Old 12-20-2009, 07:10 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hood lock is about all you can do. Nothing you can do about a smash and grab. I just chose to leave nothing of value in my jeep. A tuffy center console could be retrofitted.
Old 12-20-2009, 07:28 PM
JK Enthusiast

I have Lo-Jack installed on mine... Where in WA are you located?
Old 12-20-2009, 07:30 PM
JK Jedi

Did you leave your key inside? I was recently with a bad key fob and the Jeep wouldnt even run 50 ft without stopping.
Old 12-20-2009, 07:46 PM
JK Enthusiast

you could always get a proximity alarm. one of my buddies has it on his subaru and it always goes off if i stand near it. i also saw this highly illegal mod that someone in germany did. they rigged a flame thrower up to their alarm. if it was broken into it would spray fire out both sides of the car. it was one of the craziest things ive ever seen. id be all for it but i cant get another ticket..
Old 12-20-2009, 07:55 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The best anti-theft device is the Ravelco system. It's not an alarm, but wired into the electrical system. It won't stop a smash and grab, nothing will, but it will keep anyone from being able to take the vehicle. They have never had one defeated, and they're not very expensive either.
Old 12-20-2009, 08:10 PM
JK Newbie

I was at a Puyallup park-n-ride. When I got back to the lot in the afternoon, it was gone. I have a key, my wife has the other. I *think* the thing was loaded on a flatbed and taken away. Insane, eh? (There was no ignition damage at all) Looking back, there was some suspicious activity a couple days before and I'm kicking myself for not thinking that way.

I turned down the lojack option at the dealer, maybe I shouldn't have. I like some of the suggestions in this thread. I think a hood lock, and a system with the 2nd battery and "paging" feature have promise. GPS tracking sounds helpful also.

I agree, a determined thief is gonna jack the thing. I just want to make it as hard as possible.

Probably won't be staying at the park-n-ride much either, and change my parking habits, etc.

Stupid thieves!

Last edited by sputnikv8; 12-20-2009 at 08:14 PM.
Old 12-20-2009, 08:11 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by GadgetPhreak
My wifes Tahoe has a Lo-Jack. It got stolen once and it was recovered within 45 minutes. Bad news was that everything not welded down was gone already. We reported it stolen within 10 minutes of parking so the theifs had it less then an hour.

If they want it they will get it. Truth be told I am sorry that they recovered it because of the amount of damage done it was never the same again. It came in just under the amount that the insurance would total it at so we were stuck keeping it. It was only a few weeks old when it was stolen.
Old 12-20-2009, 08:24 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by GadgetPhreak
x2 on the Lo-Jack. More expensive than other options, but then again....do you want to recover your Jeep if stolen. You got lucky this time.

Quick Reply: Jeep security...