Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Jeep Rattles Constantly

Old 03-19-2015, 03:29 PM
Former Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jeep Rattles Constantly

Being on the inside of my Jeep while driving feels like being on a plane during a flight inside of a hurricane.

I also just added a hard top, and the top just made the situation even worse. It just rattles at the windows constantly among many other places and this effect gets even worse when I hit small and large bumps. This is not a rip on Jeep as I just drove a few other newer models and they did not have this problem.

BTW I have a 2008 JK unlimited with rancho shocks, rubi tires (bfg's with 17" moabs) and a 2 inch lift. The Rancho shocks have actually made my ride a bit better but that isnt saying much.

My question is ... do you think it could be the suspension, the mud terrain tires, or the engine causing the shakiness that is driving me crazy? The Jeep handles very rough at low speeds and it was not like that when I bought it 5 years ago. What do you think I should do? Finanacially I'm not in a position to send it to the shop unless I can find a decent mom and pop shop in the Los Angeles area.

And, are there any knowledgeable Jeep owners here in the Los Angeles area willing to meet me for a test drive? I'm lookng to have the problem critiqued. I can bring you a 6-12 pack of your fav beer depending on the price.
Old 03-19-2015, 04:09 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What coils are you running? How long have you had the lift?

Shocks don't really do much for the everyday mild bumps while driving, they are going to absorb the hard, quick ones but they are still going to be felt. I had some springs that were like rocks, ride was terrible, stiff and violent. I switched to the EVO plush coils and it's amazing how, well, plush the ride feels. Made a bigger difference than anything on my Jeep.

I'm in the Foothills if you want to meet up.
Old 03-19-2015, 04:26 PM
Former Member

Originally Posted by aermotor
What coils are you running? How long have you had the lift?

Shocks don't really do much for the everyday mild bumps while driving, they are going to absorb the hard, quick ones but they are still going to be felt. I had some springs that were like rocks, ride was terrible, stiff and violent. I switched to the EVO plush coils and it's amazing how, well, plush the ride feels. Made a bigger difference than anything on my Jeep.

I'm in the Foothills if you want to meet up.
They are Rancho coils that came with my XL9000's as a kit. I thought it was the shocks that made all of the difference but the coils do make sense. I would hate to have to redo the coils all over again. It also seems like the windows are somehow loose and have always rattled no matter what suspension i've had on the Jeep. Meet ing up would be cool what is your schedule like?
Old 03-19-2015, 04:45 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Muscles
They are Rancho coils that came with my XL9000's as a kit. I thought it was the shocks that made all of the difference but the coils do make sense. I would hate to have to redo the coils all over again. It also seems like the windows are somehow loose and have always rattled no matter what suspension i've had on the Jeep. Meet ing up would be cool what is your schedule like?
Think of it this way, the entire weight of your Jeep sits on your coils. You can pull the shocks and drive around just fine, albeit I wouldn't look for dips. If they are like truck coils, super stiff but can carry a big load, the ride will be unbearable. Coils should really only take a couple hours max to install...

I'm home at nights in Sunland after 9PM or so.
Old 03-19-2015, 05:49 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Muscles
Those rancho springs are stiff.

Also check that everything is torqued down properly.

As soon as I have rattles I know something is loose.

Do you have an aftermarket tire carrier?

If the carrier is rattling around that rattle is going to transfer through to the rest of the jeep, through the body or frame depending on how it's mounted.
Old 03-19-2015, 07:06 PM
Former Member

Originally Posted by gingerchocolate
Those rancho springs are stiff.

Also check that everything is torqued down properly.

As soon as I have rattles I know something is loose.

Do you have an aftermarket tire carrier?

If the carrier is rattling around that rattle is going to transfer through to the rest of the jeep, through the body or frame depending on how it's mounted.
No aftermarket tire carrier, and there was even something going clankety clank underneath the Jeep before I even did the lift.
Old 03-20-2015, 03:05 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It could be anything causing the shakes and rattles. Simply stating the windows are shaking doesn't indicate it would be anything specific. If you bought it used, it could be the drive shafts, Bad joints, loose door hinges, loose motor mounts, tires out of balance, tires unevenly worn, shit tires, loose driveline connections, warped brake rotors, this lost could go on for a while. And' it may very well be a few things combined. You need verify the aforementioned and go from there. Even get the weight off the axles, pull the wheels and check all connections to the axles.
Old 03-20-2015, 05:11 AM
JK Newbie

Tire pressure?

Mine rode like a lumber wagon until I adjusted the pressure down for even wear - ended up being about 24 in the front and 22 in the rear.

Clanks underneath could be missing or broken exhaust hangers, itching on the inside could be caused by the plastic panels being removed for wiring etc and not being snapped back in completely (or missing plastic retainers that broke during removal).
Old 03-21-2015, 05:46 AM
JK Super Freak

I know mine rattles and creaks around my NX top and plastic door surrounds. It's annoying but Jeep is not known for fit and finish. It's amplified when adding anything aftermarket

Sent from my LG-LS980 using JK-Forum
Old 03-21-2015, 07:41 AM
JK Newbie

I can tell you that one source of rattle comes from the door latches when you hit bumps pretty hard. A trick I learned from here is to wrap the metal that the latch latches on to with electrical tape. It takes the slack out and since it is like rubber there is no more sound. You might have to slam the door open and shut a couple of times for the latch to dig in but after that it's golden. One of the best things i learned on this site.

Next thing to tackle is the damn skid plate/exhaust rattle thats coming back again and the A pillar creek that I had for ever.

Quick Reply: Jeep Rattles Constantly