Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Jeep pulls to the left.

Old 12-14-2012, 06:08 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jeep pulls to the left.

I had 100 miles on my 2012 2dr Rubicon when I installed a 3" Zone lift (springs and shocks) along with 35" MTZ's and ever since then it's pulled to the left. So far I have:
1) taken it in for an alignment (the shop did a manual alignment but are used to lifted vehicles)
2) loosened all hardware while on ground and jumped up and down on the bumper, then retightened.
3) rotated the tires
4) took it back in for an alignment check at 1200 miles after wheeling it in Colorado. No change was needed.

What gives?

Should I take it to another alignment shop?

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance
Old 12-14-2012, 06:11 AM
JK Junkie

Did the lift come with a steering stabilizer?
Old 12-14-2012, 06:15 AM
JK Enthusiast

Did you put a new steering stabilizer on? sometimes they "push" to the left?

any strange wear patterns on the tires?
Old 12-14-2012, 06:17 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Unless you have adjustable control arms the only thing an alignment shop can adjust is your toe in. Did you do anything with your track bars? If not they will be offset from each other in opposite directions. I would also add adjustable front lower control arms to help get your caster back, will help tighten up the feel of the steering.
Old 12-14-2012, 06:31 AM
JK Enthusiast

I put a new steering stabilizer with relocation bracket on it about 1000 miles ago, but it didn't change anything as it was pulling the same before and after.

The camber is different for both wheels, but within limits.

The caster I don't recall.

I haven't noticed (looked actually) for abnormal tire wear. I just passed 4000 miles total.

Last edited by ezav8tr; 12-14-2012 at 06:33 AM.
Old 12-14-2012, 06:38 AM
JK Enthusiast

A friend suggested running a lower tire pressure on one side to equal it out. He's not an 'automotive expert' by any means, but it does sound like an easy solution. I'll be rotating all 5 tires every 5000 miles or so to even out the wear.

Has anyone ever done that?
Old 12-14-2012, 07:26 AM
JK Newbie

That would work but that's all your doing is masking the problem and putting wear on your tires ($$$) !! That's what sucks about lifting your DD !! I've got 37's with a long on my DD and I was constantly adjusting (Everything) after I would go wheeling because it always felt like it was always pulling , but what I came to notice was It all depends on what lane your in on the E-way and how bad the crown is on each road your on with those big ass tires ?? But that one guy was right when he mentioned the track bars !! Usually 3" lifts and higher come with a drop bracket for the rear / and not always a correction bracket for the front !! And if you notice in the front , the bracket to the frame for your track bar is welded up on the drivers side which would pull the whole axle over to the left !? Your track bar is the only thing keeping your axle in line , and it will pull if they are not both set right !?

Sent from BlackBerry using Tapatalk
Old 12-14-2012, 07:35 AM
JK Enthusiast

What psi are you running? Has it gotten any better/worse w/miles?
Old 12-14-2012, 07:45 AM
JK Newbie

I just thought of something , you put the lift on yourself so , not to sound stupid but is it pulling for sure or is the steering wheel off making you think its pulling ?? You did loosen the bolt on the steering shaft and tighten it back up when done , and then set the steering wheel straight by adjusting the draglink right ??

Sent from BlackBerry using Tapatalk
Old 12-14-2012, 07:57 AM
JK Newbie

I would say if you dont have adjustable control arms then your axle may not be aligned properly .. Also when you rotated your tires , is it still pulling in the same direction ? if not then you could have radial pull .. A pull from a bad tire .. Also check your track bar and steering , make sure the are paralleled with each other and as close to level with the ground as possible .. If you dont have am adjustable trackbar then it can be pulling your steering to the left . Good luck .

Quick Reply: Jeep pulls to the left.