Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Jeep overheating with Ripp Supercharger

Old 02-21-2016, 05:47 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Edit: just saw the cooler (looks like an inter cooler to reduce charge air temp) so it looks like re-locating that may be a no-go. Test to see how much of the other stuff you have to remove, but remember the need for airflow goes up as outside air temps go up. What's good today may (will probably) not be enough for the summer. You may also be able to fix it with an aftermarket radiator.....

Welcome to the Forum by the way!

Last edited by zstairlessone; 02-21-2016 at 05:51 AM.
Old 02-23-2016, 11:35 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by zstairlessone
Edit: just saw the cooler (looks like an inter cooler to reduce charge air temp) so it looks like re-locating that may be a no-go.
The intercooler alone should not be a major issue. I have a much larger intercooler on mine, and I have no overheating issues on the street, freeway, or slow driving on trails. The only time my coolant temp ever rises enough to move the needle on the gauge is after multiple attempts to drive up steep sand dunes with high engine load, high rpms, making boost, etc. (needle moves about halfway from middle to 3/4 mark). Then the needle returns to the center after a few minutes of slow driving or idling.

The intercooler restricts air flow a bit, but does not completely block it like a big winch, lightbar, and aftermarket "angry" grill. I really think that aftermarket grill is the main contributor to the problem.

Old 02-23-2016, 01:20 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Hood Vents

I say if your willing to throw money at it. Get some daystar Hood vents. It can't hurt to try it and if it doesn't work its still looks bad ass. I'm probably going to get these eventually. Just add it to the list..

Amazon.com: Daystar KJ71048BK Black Hood Vent Kit for Jeep JK - Pair: Automotive
Old 02-24-2016, 08:53 AM
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As someone mentioned, remove the winch and light and drive around for a bit to see if the issue can still be reproduced.

This will cost you nothing but a little time and will help troubleshoot before figuring out what to do next.
Old 02-24-2016, 01:58 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TOTL Innovations
As someone mentioned, remove the winch and light and drive around for a bit to see if the issue can still be reproduced.

This will cost you nothing but a little time and will help troubleshoot before figuring out what to do next.
^^^^^^^^What he said.^^^^^^^^^^^

Start with the free stuff first. Just takes a little time to remove a light bar and winch.
Swap in the original grill.
research the engine cast sand.
Then try hood vents.
Old 02-24-2016, 02:18 PM
JK Freak

Ditch the grill and light bar on the stinger. Problem solved.
Old 02-25-2016, 07:17 AM
JK Newbie

I would have to agree with the remove light bar, because I have a in-bumper mounted winch on my ARB Deluxe bumper. But, I had a double row 15" light bar I had my hubby install on the underside of the bull bar - which then effectively blocked the entire grill area. Even with a Flex-lite dual core radiator I noticed a rise in the temp. So I removed it and all back to normal, even with the Ripp intercooler blocking some of the radiator.
Old 02-25-2016, 11:21 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by UselessPickles
That's a lot of stuff blocking airflow to your radiator:
* Aftermarket grill with smaller openings - blocks top of radiator.
* Big winch - blocks bottom of radiator.
* The light bar, and the tubing it is mounted to - blocks middle of radiator (and intercooler).
* Intercooler - reduces flow to middle of radiator.

It's almost like you're trying to make your Jeep overheat.

You seem to have plenty of aux lighting. If I were you, I would re-install the stock grill and ditch the light bar up front. I bet that would solve your problems.
Originally Posted by Mojave MAX
I would have to agree with the remove light bar, because I have a in-bumper mounted winch on my ARB Deluxe bumper. But, I had a double row 15" light bar I had my hubby install on the underside of the bull bar - which then effectively blocked the entire grill area. Even with a Flex-lite dual core radiator I noticed a rise in the temp. So I removed it and all back to normal, even with the Ripp intercooler blocking some of the radiator.
This....

Also,

We have to ask if you made sure to re-use the coolant that came with the vehicle, or added new during the supercharger install.

RIPP
Old 02-25-2016, 11:35 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Come on dude, Just pull the stuff first and see if it helps. Start with the grille. Its like 10 screws.

Quick Reply: Jeep overheating with Ripp Supercharger