Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Jeep not tracking straight after lift, need suggestions on how to correct

Old 05-06-2010, 12:57 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mantaray52
I think what you're talking about gets referred to as "Hound Dogging" because you're moving straight forward, but the rear is out to one side or the other. Generally it means your axles are not running perpendicular to the center line of the vehicle, even if they are centered between the wheel wells. so your axles would be a less exaggerated version of this: /--/
I haven't heard of this tracking problem being referred to as "hound dogging" but I essentially agree with Mantaray on this matter. I've seen this on trucks and cars before and it's due to the rear axle not being centered properly under the vehicle. If you're toe is off or if the front axle is not centered, you'll experience heavy vibration and accelerated tire wear but it won't appear to drive sideways. Honestly, it sounds like you have compound problems. I hope it's just a matter of parts having been mixed up during installation.
Old 05-06-2010, 01:02 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default thrust angle

the proper term is thrust angle - if the body is straight and front and/or rear axles are aiming left and / or right your thrust angle is OFF

btw - WOL has a lot of this stuff available

check this out -

http://project-jk.com/jeep-jk/jeep-jk-write-ups

Basic Do-it-Yourself Jeep JK Wrangler Front End Alignment

Originally Posted by txjeeplover
I haven't heard of this tracking problem being referred to as "hound dogging" but I essentially agree with Mantaray on this matter. I've seen this on trucks and cars before and it's due to the rear axle not being centered properly under the vehicle. If you're toe is off or if the front axle is not centered, you'll experience heavy vibration and accelerated tire wear but it won't appear to drive sideways. Honestly, it sounds like you have compound problems. I hope it's just a matter of parts having been mixed up during installation.

Last edited by 69thunderbird; 05-06-2010 at 01:07 PM.
Old 05-06-2010, 03:11 PM
JK Newbie

You said you installed track bars - were they adjustable track bars or a track bar with a relocation bracket? You need one or the other front and rear to recenter the axles and stop the sideways driving.
Old 05-06-2010, 03:28 PM
JK Freak

Looking at the pics and the description of your issue it seems like your driver's side LCA is too long. You said that your LCA's are not adjustable, are you running cambolts? Playing with your new adjustable LCA's should resolve this issue. Your axel may be centered under the jeep, but one end of the axel is pushed further forward than the other.
Old 05-07-2010, 11:58 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

any resolve yet?

Quick Reply: Jeep not tracking straight after lift, need suggestions on how to correct