Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Jeep not tracking straight after lift, need suggestions on how to correct

Old 05-06-2010, 06:50 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I know you said in your first post that the axles are centered perfectly...did you drive around the block and confirm this? just because you say your link is touching the spring on one side and not the other...that tells me that either your discos are installed incorrectly??? or your axle is not perfectly centered...if you put the lift on and just centered it on the stands before working the steering back and forth I bet the axle isn't truly centered.
Old 05-06-2010, 06:52 AM
bkw
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yep, first thing I did after I saw the QD rubbing against the coil was to check the spring seat and it's flush against the perch.

I'll take some pictures then will contact TF.

In the meantime, do you guys think that if I were to lengthen the drivers side LCA, it'd space the top of the QD away from the spring? I've got a set of Rock Krawler LCA's en route and will (hopefully) be here today.
Old 05-06-2010, 07:24 AM
bkw
JK Freak

Took a quick blackberry photo. This is my drivers side looking from the top down. They'll touch when I turn my wheel left, and get further apart when I turn my wheel right. The passenger side doesnt touch, nor comes close to touching at all in either direction.

I found a thread on the other forum with this happening to guys over there as well with Teraflex lifts over 3", but no suggestions on how to fix besides turning the coil spring off the perch - which doesnt sound like a good idea to me.

Last edited by bkw; 05-06-2010 at 07:26 AM.
Old 05-06-2010, 07:28 AM
JK Newbie

I think what you're talking about gets referred to as "Hound Dogging" because you're moving straight forward, but the rear is out to one side or the other. Generally it means your axles are not running perpendicular to the center line of the vehicle, even if they are centered between the wheel wells. so your axles would be a less exaggerated version of this: /--/
Old 05-06-2010, 10:57 AM
JK Freak

Did you install a 3" lift kit, or just install 3" springs in place of budget boost spacers?
If you did not do a kit, you probably need track bars to center axle, adjustable arms to correct caster, and a good alignment after those are installed. IMO, it sounds like your alignment is off in more ways than one.

I notice in the photo that it looks like your sway bar is angled down. If you still have the stock rear links on the front (like you would do for a budget boost), they are probably not long enough. The sway bar should sit level when the jeep is on level ground.

As far as control arm brands, I am very partial to either JKS or Teraflex. They make great stuff!

Last edited by JK Rocker; 05-06-2010 at 11:01 AM.
Old 05-06-2010, 11:00 AM
bkw
JK Freak

Originally Posted by JK Rocker
Did you install a 3" lift kit, or just install 3" springs in place of budget boost spacers?
If you did not do a kit, you probably need track bars to center axle, adjustable arms to correct caster, and a good alignment after those are installed. IMO, it sounds like your alignment is off in more ways than one.

Originally Posted by bkw

My set up is comprised of the following:
3" TF coils
fox 2.0 shocks
F&R Full Traction track bars - axles centered perfectly
Non-adj LCA from Skyjacker 4" lift - no "flighty-ness" before 3", now it exhibits a bit more "flighty-ness"
The only things I dont have are upper control arms, and rear upper and lower control arms. I've got longer LCA's, and will have adj LCA's tonight.
Old 05-06-2010, 11:14 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

CAs arent necessarily a requirement with the TF 3" lift with a 4dr. what procedure did you follow for centering your axles?
Old 05-06-2010, 11:28 AM
JK Freak

Default get an alignment

find a shop that has a 4 wheel alignment system and ask them to give you a printout of your rig.

a lot of place have discounts and you can have this done for under $70 and will give you a good starting point.
Old 05-06-2010, 12:31 PM
bkw
JK Freak

Originally Posted by wazooz2424
CAs arent necessarily a requirement with the TF 3" lift with a 4dr. what procedure did you follow for centering your axles?
For the front, I measured from the back of the tire to the top of the spring mount on both sides, then took the median of both measurements. Theyre both equal right now.

For the rear, I used a long 2x4 against the front center of the wheel, then measured the distance to the fender. Theyre both equal right now.

Originally Posted by 69thunderbird
find a shop that has a 4 wheel alignment system and ask them to give you a printout of your rig.

a lot of place have discounts and you can have this done for under $70 and will give you a good starting point.
I've got a new set of RK LCA's waiting for me when I get home. I'll measure them out based on Eddie's specs and install them. My plan is to then take it to an alignment shop to get me back into spec. My local stealership stated that they can only work on the 'stock' components to re-align (toe), but they will not touch any of the adjustable pieces (LCA's and trackbars) so I'll have to find a privateer who's mod friendly and Jeep educated.
Old 05-06-2010, 12:55 PM
JK Freak

Default Alignment

I've had shops do "alignments", but most vehicles today if you need an alignment you've damaged something, so it's more replacing a part than making an adjustment.

If we had the $30-$50K alignment systems these shops have we could align oursleves.

That's why i was suggesting to take it to a place that can give you specs on your rig once your done installing, so at least you know what's off and what needs to be done.

I've used measuring tapes, angle finders, strings, even my iphone to try and get data to adjust my rig. Finally took to a shop that gave me a print out and that's when i saw how F'd up my alignment was and why my jeep was so hard to control.

Check out the Caster! yes- that's a -1!
Click image for larger version

Name:	alignment..jpg
Views:	109
Size:	8.0 KB
ID:	65524

Quick Reply: Jeep not tracking straight after lift, need suggestions on how to correct