Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Jeep noob in need of tire/wheel suggestions please.

Old 08-20-2012, 06:49 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jeep noob in need of tire/wheel suggestions please.

Hello all. New to the forum and looking forward to being a good contributor wherever possible. I'm a newly minted owner of a 2012 Unlimited Sport and hoping to get some wise feedback from the group here. I, like many folks, will primarily use my JK on the paved road. I usually drive long highway distances on the weekdays (about 25-30k per year) and my plan is to go wheeling on the weekends. The stock rubber (Goodyear Wrangler SR-A) provide a good platform for paved driving, but I'm not happy with their performance in the sand which dominates the trails here in central Florida.

Here is what I'm hoping to accomplish:

1. Maintain a QUIET highway ride.
2. Improve soft sand and light mud traction without having to drastically air down my tires.
3. Size up a bit for looks if practical.

Right now I'm rolling on OEM 17" rims which are fine. If any of you have suggestions for an inexpensive black steel wheel, I'd be open to hearing about that as well. Other than that the only addition I've made so far are a pair of rocker protectors/steps that I bolted on this past weekend.

Any feedback on what you've bought and liked, as well as not liked would be really valuable to me. Thank you!
Old 08-20-2012, 07:01 AM
JK Enthusiast

The bfg all terrain ko is a great tire for sand, is quiet on the road and does pretty well in light mud.

Quite a few folks on here run the soft 8 wheel and seem to be very pleased with it as well.

Welcome to the forum and good luck on your build!
Old 08-20-2012, 07:13 AM
JK Newbie

Welcome to the forum. I've used my JK primarily as a daily drive as well and I've found that the Nitto Terra Grapplers offer a great ride quiet on paved roads and good performance off.

I'm currently on 34" Pro Comp AT's and they have seemed pretty quiet as well. Hope that helps.
Old 08-20-2012, 07:21 AM
JK Enthusiast

I'm also running Nitto Trail Grappler (35's) on ATX Crawl flat black wheels. I've had doors/top off since April n I'm either used to the sounds or the tires are pretty quiet.
Old 08-20-2012, 07:42 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by evansdad
I'm also running Nitto Trail Grappler (35's) on ATX Crawl flat black wheels. I've had doors/top off since April n I'm either used to the sounds or the tires are pretty quiet.
Nitto DuneGrapplers.

Besides looking bada$$, they perform pretty well too. Got about 20K on a set on my wife's rig and they are wearing awesome!

Kevin
Old 08-20-2012, 07:43 AM
JK Enthusiast

Welcome! This forum is a wealth of information. I just put hankook dynapro atm's on last week. Very little road noise. The reviews of them off-road are pretty good, but I have not had a chance to test them out.
Old 08-20-2012, 07:58 AM
JK Newbie

I went with a 2.5" RK Max Travel lift and 35" BFG KM2's. I did a good deal of research and these were suggested. I've got 2 trips under my belt and about 1500 miles on the tires. So far I'm very pleased. They aren't to loud and have great traction. Good luck on the build

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0393.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	74.9 KB
ID:	356239Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG952012072895194402.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	47.6 KB
ID:	356240
Old 08-20-2012, 11:13 AM
JK Newbie

Awesome responses so far. Thanks for the insight and keep it coming. In particular, has anybody tried something they didn't like and would suggest I avoid?
Old 08-20-2012, 06:55 PM
Super Moderator

Received 83 Likes on 75 Posts

You might look at Goodyear duratracs
Old 08-21-2012, 10:14 AM
JK Newbie

I'm kinda in the same position but was looking at the Wrangler MT/R with kevlar but wanted to know what your guys thoughts were on them I do plan to go off roading?

Quick Reply: Jeep noob in need of tire/wheel suggestions please.