Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Jeep JKU control arm question

Old 03-07-2013, 07:23 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jeep JKU control arm question

So I recently installed the cheapo rough country 4" lift on my 2008 JKU and now that I have a little more money to spend I'd like to lengthen the control arms so the jeep will handle more like stock. Rough country sells control arm relocation brackets for $90, but there is no relocation bracket for the rear. Does this matter? Do I have to spend $500 for longer rear control arms and cheap out on the front? If I only use the relocation bracket on the front will it only be half fixed? I plan on taking a road trip from NY to the smokey mountains in June and don't want to die along the way...please help!!
Old 03-07-2013, 08:06 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Start with just front lowers. Rock Krawler or TeraFlex are good arms.
Old 03-07-2013, 08:10 AM
JK Junkie

The front relo bracket improves drivability by
- In creasing caster angle
- setting the arms more horizontal to the ground. Smoother ride.
Few other things as well but those 2 will help drivability a lot.

Most folks will do front lowers for caster adjustment. You can't go crazy with the DS already at a steep angle. Increasing caster only makes the angle worse.

What you can do is just lowers to get caster back closer to stock. The brackets will help with a little ground clearance lost.

Really depends on what you are willing to spend.
Old 03-07-2013, 08:43 AM
Sponsoring Vendor

Originally Posted by Jmarvi60
So I recently installed the cheapo rough country 4" lift on my 2008 JKU and now that I have a little more money to spend I'd like to lengthen the control arms so the jeep will handle more like stock. Rough country sells control arm relocation brackets for $90, but there is no relocation bracket for the rear. Does this matter? Do I have to spend $500 for longer rear control arms and cheap out on the front? If I only use the relocation bracket on the front will it only be half fixed? I plan on taking a road trip from NY to the smokey mountains in June and don't want to die along the way...please help!!
I think your a little confused on control arms. They are really not much longer than stock. They are heavy duty compared to stock.

What you do need is the adjustability of them. Front lowers will adjust your caster angle and make your vehicle steer like it should. At 4" of lift you might want to consider a drag link flip. Rear upper control arms will help with your pinion angle. You need this in line to eliminate driveline viberations and it will make your factory shaft last a little longer!

brackets are a cheap solution to above and are definetly not the best way to address the issues above.
Old 03-07-2013, 08:52 AM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Jmarvi60
The brackets are a cheap fix for something that shouldn't be skimped on. If you want to do it right, get a set of adjustable control arms. Not only will it be a safer option than just bolting on some brackets, they'll let you align your Jeep properly.

JKS, Teraflex and Rock Krawler all have adjustable control arm kits for the front and rear of the Jeep. All three brands are very reliable and extremely heavy duty. This is the best way to go for lifting your Jeep because you can bolt them on, get it aligned and leave it alone.

It won't hurt your ground clearance like the bracket will and also it will make your Jeep a lot more drivable on road. They will even give you better offroad performance by fixing your suspension geometry. If you have any questions send me a PM and I'll help you out.

-Zach

Quick Reply: Jeep JKU control arm question