Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Jeep JK engine swap options?

Old 06-10-2024, 08:51 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Jeep JK engine swap options?

My 2013 Jeep wrangler sahara JK engine went bad. I am looking for replacement options and am thinking of swapping it with a better more powerful engine. Can anyone please give me some advice/options on the best engine swaps with the least amount of hassle? Thanks
Old 06-11-2024, 11:04 AM
JK Newbie

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

"Better" means different things to different people. For what it's worth, a more powerful engine will stress the transmission/driveline more. If using it means higher average speeds it will also load the brakes/rotors more.

So:
- "best engine" would mean an engine which is more reliable, fuel efficient, with lower emissions, at least from my point of view.
- "least hassle" would mean the least need to change mounts, exhaust system, and auxiliary systems, as well as (if increasing power) transmission, driveline, brakes, etc., etc.

Old 06-11-2024, 11:08 AM
Super Moderator

Received 480 Likes on 431 Posts

Boy are the options expensive. I have the Motech conversion for the LT Chev from a 2016 Silverado. Doing it myself I spent about $12,000CDN doing it with about a further $4-5000 for suspension upgrades, exhaust, console and shifter and driveshafts. A Hemi conversion is what I would do if again even though it is heavier but with the later transmissions if fits behind the Hemi and it simplifies the ECU side of things. Eliminates the need for driveshafts but stockers might go bad with the extra oomph. Mine has run for 3 years now but you always have little niggly issues that keep you under the hood on occasion.
Not a lot of options other than Turbo 4 Jeep JL, Colorado ZR2, new Toyota Turbo or Bronco with V6 TTurbo. Friend has a desmogged JL Turbo at 350HP and it is impressive even on 40's with 5.13 gears. Runs flawless now.
Old 06-11-2024, 01:29 PM
Super Moderator
Veteran: National Guard

Received 408 Likes on 383 Posts

IMO (and what I'd Do if needed) is the MOPAR Reman Engine specifically for my VIN. Comes with a 3yr 100,000 mile Parts and Labor Warranty. The only more powerful engine would be a Hemi Swap .. Not the LT or LS as many states require same engine company as the vehicle for emissions.
The following users liked this post:
JimWPB (06-27-2024)

Quick Reply: Jeep JK engine swap options?