Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Jeep jk engine swap

Old 11-21-2012, 03:40 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So Vic I guess you decided on putting a new LS in the jeep geme a buzz when you get it all taken care of.

Post some pic too
Old 11-21-2012, 03:41 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by ridelots24
That 6.2 with stock setup is gong to be a race car! you should start your own build thread, keep us posted somehow. good luck!!
MoTech dropped the engine in today! I can't wait to get behind the wheel.
Old 11-21-2012, 03:45 PM
JK Freak

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by chuck45

MoTech dropped the engine in today! I can't wait to get behind the wheel.
AWESOME! Congratulations, I just finished emailing with Robbie; I was trying to get him to convince me to cancel my 2013 JKUR order and bring him an 07 JKU to put a 5.3 VVT in.

Robbie seems like a real professional who truly cares about his work. Please post pics and/or YouTube when you have it running.

I actually feel pretty jealous of you!
Old 11-21-2012, 03:59 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by doc5339
AWESOME! Congratulations, I just finished emailing with Robbie; I was trying to get him to convince me to cancel my 2013 JKUR order and bring him an 07 JKU to put a 5.3 VVT in.

Robbie seems like a real professional who truly cares about his work. Please post pics and/or YouTube when you have it running.

I actually feel pretty jealous of you!
I was pretty jealous of all those guys I ran across with Hemi's too. Hell I was jealous of the guys with lifted Grand Cherokees and V8's who wheeled with our Jeep Club.

My wife and I drove down to Vegas to meet with Robbie and drive one of his conversions before we put down the money. In my wifes mind it was a bit of a flier and the Hemi was more proven. Robbie and Tom were most pleasant and gave us four hours of their day. Robbie explained what he was doing, why he was doing it and showed us parts being fabricated. After answering all our questioned and getting to drive one we were convinced it was the way to go.

In a heartbeat I would cancel the 2013 and buy a used JK. I rented a 2012 4 dr and drove it from Ouray to Durango and was extremely disappointed. They may work in the flat land and on lighter vehicles but I don't think the 3.6 is appropriate for a heavy JKU. The front axle, even on a Rubi with its 44, is a weak link. I had my trackbar bracket develop metal fatigue and break off from the axle tube.

Buy an 07 or 08, put in a 5.3 or 6.2 with a 6L80 trans and go with D60 or equivalent axles. The cost will be close to a new one and you will have a far, far superior vehicle. If you could make it out to Vegas and drive Robbies (it's an 07 or 08) 4 dr conversion you would cancel the 2013 in a heartbeat. The conversion drives so calmly and quietly without the sturm and drang of the high revving V6's. It would be worth a plane ticket I tell you.
Old 11-21-2012, 05:13 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mook8651
So Vic I guess you decided on putting a new LS in the jeep geme a buzz when you get it all taken care of.

Post some pic too
Hey bud!! ya.....just dont tell my wife. I ordered it yesterday, 2 weeks for delivery!!!
Old 11-21-2012, 09:03 PM
JK Freak

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by chuck45
I was pretty jealous of all those guys I ran across with Hemi's too. Hell I was jealous of the guys with lifted Grand Cherokees and V8's who wheeled with our Jeep Club.

My wife and I drove down to Vegas to meet with Robbie and drive one of his conversions before we put down the money. In my wifes mind it was a bit of a flier and the Hemi was more proven. Robbie and Tom were most pleasant and gave us four hours of their day. Robbie explained what he was doing, why he was doing it and showed us parts being fabricated. After answering all our questioned and getting to drive one we were convinced it was the way to go.

In a heartbeat I would cancel the 2013 and buy a used JK. I rented a 2012 4 dr and drove it from Ouray to Durango and was extremely disappointed. They may work in the flat land and on lighter vehicles but I don't think the 3.6 is appropriate for a heavy JKU. The front axle, even on a Rubi with its 44, is a weak link. I had my trackbar bracket develop metal fatigue and break off from the axle tube.

Buy an 07 or 08, put in a 5.3 or 6.2 with a 6L80 trans and go with D60 or equivalent axles. The cost will be close to a new one and you will have a far, far superior vehicle. If you could make it out to Vegas and drive Robbies (it's an 07 or 08) 4 dr conversion you would cancel the 2013 in a heartbeat. The conversion drives so calmly and quietly without the sturm and drang of the high revving V6's. It would be worth a plane ticket I tell you.
Trust me, I am still considering it. I would have to find a 2007-08 JKU for $12,000.00, pay for swap labor and materials, airfare, and fuel back to Charleston, SC just to come close to what I am paying for the 2013 JKUR ($32,900.00). My motivation, other than power, is actually reliability. I am convinced that Robbie's power-train is more reliable, durable, and of course more powerful than a 3.6 Pentastar. I would really prefer a diesel swap, but that gets even more expensive.
Old 11-21-2012, 09:51 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by doc5339
Trust me, I am still considering it. I would have to find a 2007-08 JKU for $12,000.00, pay for swap labor and materials, airfare, and fuel back to Charleston, SC just to come close to what I am paying for the 2013 JKUR ($32,900.00). My motivation, other than power, is actually reliability. I am convinced that Robbie's power-train is more reliable, durable, and of course more powerful than a 3.6 Pentastar. I would really prefer a diesel swap, but that gets even more expensive.
One of the things that has always made me nervous when we take the JK afield is the CANBUS system and the TIPM. There have been too many failures with the TIPM failing and needing to be reflashed or with it melting. When we checked into the Maze in Canyonlands last year the Ranger told us to be careful as a tow out was 2500.00.

So reliability is a major issue with me. One of the real benefits that Robbie has built into the MoTech kit is that the engine and trans can run stand alone. If the Jeep electronics fail te engine and trans will still function. He does this by keeping the engine management system separate from Chrysler electronics and running a GM computer to manage the engine and trans; it even has its own separate OBD II port. In addition he incorporates a relay that will run the in tank fuel pump.

Robbie really knows his shit and goes to great lengths to do quality work. I don't think any of the Hemi conversions begin to compare. And I think when the story of the Pentastar in a heavy JK is written it will be a sad tale.
Old 01-04-2013, 10:24 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by NativeMsSon
What about the 5.3ls hooked to a 6 speed manual in a rubicon? I have the manual trans and do not want the auto. Does Chevy have a manual trans that would work with the conversion?
I have been doing a lot of looking into this. Robbie at MoTech was great to talk to and I plan on using his kit in conjunction with Novak's adapter that bolts the 05-06 6Spd NSG370 to a GM engine. The 07+ NSG370 has a smaller bell housing so you will need to get a 05-06. I plan on keeping my cruise control as well which may be a whole other issue. Other than that you can go through RS Gear and they have an expensive t-56 6Speed 4x4 trans. If you have any questions feel free to PM me.

Quick Reply: Jeep jk engine swap