Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Jeep jk engine swap

Old 11-20-2012, 05:45 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What about the 5.3ls hooked to a 6 speed manual in a rubicon? I have the manual trans and do not want the auto. Does Chevy have a manual trans that would work with the conversion?
Old 11-20-2012, 06:30 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by NativeMsSon
What about the 5.3ls hooked to a 6 speed manual in a rubicon? I have the manual trans and do not want the auto. Does Chevy have a manual trans that would work with the conversion?
i'm not sure, contact motech
Old 11-20-2012, 07:18 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by ridelots24
I plan on doing the 5.3 LS next month.

Here is a 6.2 install by a shop i'm considering using for my swap. I'ts a motech kit, the installer is in Alabama.

Attachment 390507Attachment 390508Attachment 390509
Yeah, I hear that Robbie has some installers around the country that use his kit. Since it was going to be a large financial commitment, and MoTech was only 500 miles away, my wife and I drove down to Vegas to drive a converted Jeep and talk to him. I came away very impressed with his attention to detail, commitent to quality and willingness to spend time with us and answer all our questions. I am totally comfortable doing business with him and using his kit.

The damned thing was that his personal JK 4dr, with a 6.2 and 6L80, was an older one like mine that had seen a good amount of off road use, and it drove so well and felt so good. I had the immediate feeling, as did my wife, that this what what the JK should have been from the factory. It drove on the road every bit as good as our Rubi did the day it came off the showroom floor but one that had a Corvette motor and trans under the hood.

Are you going to get the tap-shift option? That is super cool, especially in conjunction with an Aeroforce ScanGauge set up to display the gear it is in in one of its displays. Six gears is a lot to keep track off. The downhill performance with this trans in 1st gear is amazing.
Old 11-20-2012, 11:17 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by LBJEEPER
Personally when I can do my engine swap I think I'm gonna go with an LS1 swap from JeepSpeedShop because the price is reasonable for the kit and supposedly its smog legal in CA.
I spoke with Todd at JeepSpeed too. Let me give you a small piece of advice. Arrange to drive one of his conversions before dropping the dollars. It is my understanding that while he has succeeded in getting an LS to run in a JK the dash is lit up like a Christmas tree and lots of things don't work. If a Hemi conversion kit is above 5 grand, and much easier than an LS conversion, how can an LS conversion be cheap and work. For a while I was hung up on the find a cheap 6.0 or 6.2 with miles and go with the JSS kit and try to get it done for 10k. I decided to do it right and use a shop that actually has vehicles that have been on the street for several years - and that works. With MoTech even the Remote Start works. The stand alone ability they built in that allows the engine and trans to run even if your TIPM gets fried is a major selling point as I do not trust Jeep CANBUS system.
Old 11-20-2012, 02:46 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by chuck45
Yeah, I hear that Robbie has some installers around the country that use his kit. Since it was going to be a large financial commitment, and MoTech was only 500 miles away, my wife and I drove down to Vegas to drive a converted Jeep and talk to him. I came away very impressed with his attention to detail, commitent to quality and willingness to spend time with us and answer all our questions. I am totally comfortable doing business with him and using his kit.

The damned thing was that his personal JK 4dr, with a 6.2 and 6L80, was an older one like mine that had seen a good amount of off road use, and it drove so well and felt so good. I had the immediate feeling, as did my wife, that this what what the JK should have been from the factory. It drove on the road every bit as good as our Rubi did the day it came off the showroom floor but one that had a Corvette motor and trans under the hood.

Are you going to get the tap-shift option? That is super cool, especially in conjunction with an Aeroforce ScanGauge set up to display the gear it is in in one of its displays. Six gears is a lot to keep track off. The downhill performance with this trans in 1st gear is amazing.
Good that you were able to 'test drive' the engine first. did you do yours yet? any mpg improvements to report? i wouldn't take my wife, as i told her this engine swap will only cost 8k. also glad i didnt test the 6.2 as i'm sure i would want it. The 5.3 looks good from the specs, and lots less $.

Yes - i ordered the tap shift kit.

I hear you on "what a jeep should be" - honestly i wasnt looking to do the swap, my 3.8 is consuming oil. Logic tells me to sell and never own another jeep. But apparently this cult-like haze i've stumbled into makes me want to 'fix' it, to what Jeep should give the consumers from the beginning!!

Cheers & ride lots!
Old 11-20-2012, 05:28 PM
JK Super Freak

Good that you were able to 'test drive' the engine first. did you do yours yet? any mpg improvements to report? i wouldn't take my wife, as i told her this engine swap will only cost 8k. also glad i didnt test the 6.2 as i'm sure i would want it. The 5.3 looks good from the specs, and lots less $.

Yes - i ordered the tap shift kit.

I hear you on "what a jeep should be" - honestly i wasnt looking to do the swap, my 3.8 is consuming oil. Logic tells me to sell and never own another jeep. But apparently this cult-like haze i've stumbled into makes me want to 'fix' it, to what Jeep should give the consumers from the beginning!!

Cheers & ride lots!
The body of mine was lifted off yesterday and I hear tell they engine might have been going in today. It sounds like the body may be going back on come Monday. So no info on mileage yet and when I do get some info it most likely won't be representative until I regear. I'm sure the 5.13's I have will be less than optimum. I drove Robbies 6.2 with 35's and factory 4.10's and it ran great. I'm thinking of going to 4.56's with my 37's. I really the the 5.3 is a good way to go. The videos on MoTechs webs site show a 5.3 smoking a 5.7 hemi. I think that is because the LS engines have better torque characteristics and that in conjunction with the 6 speed auto just plain works.

I wasn't looking to this swap right now either; but my 3.8 was burning oil at the rate of 1 qt per 100-150 miles. I wheel with some older guys, some in their 70's and even 80's, and they are mostly all wheeling vehicles they built decades ago. I figure to be doing the same, and I really like the 4 dr JK platform, I'm just setting it up the way I think it ought to be for the next 20 years. I mean it's not like Jeep is going to come out with something that will be better than what I end up with after I get the axles dialed in.
Old 11-20-2012, 05:39 PM
JK Newbie

Lots of good parts and info on LS swaps at Mast Motorsports www.MastMotorsports.com.

Also, LS1tech is full of info!
Old 11-20-2012, 05:55 PM
JK Enthusiast

The body of mine was lifted off yesterday and I hear tell they engine might have been going in today. It sounds like the body may be going back on come Monday. So no info on mileage yet and when I do get some info it most likely won't be representative until I regear. I'm sure the 5.13's I have will be less than optimum. I drove Robbies 6.2 with 35's and factory 4.10's and it ran great. I'm thinking of going to 4.56's with my 37's. I really the the 5.3 is a good way to go. The videos on MoTechs webs site show a 5.3 smoking a 5.7 hemi. I think that is because the LS engines have better torque characteristics and that in conjunction with the 6 speed auto just plain works.

I wasn't looking to this swap right now either; but my 3.8 was burning oil at the rate of 1 qt per 100-150 miles. I wheel with some older guys, some in their 70's and even 80's, and they are mostly all wheeling vehicles they built decades ago. I figure to be doing the same, and I really like the 4 dr JK platform, I'm just setting it up the way I think it ought to be for the next 20 years. I mean it's not like Jeep is going to come out with something that will be better than what I end up with after I get the axles dialed in.
Wow, thats great. post up some pics if you can!

Robbie said my kit will take 2 weeks to ship currently, i'm having him source the engine/trans too. Is your 5.3 an aluminum or iron block? Just curious, sometimes i read that guys say iron block engines are better for 'trucks', towing, stress, etc. i'm going with Robbie's recommendation for the aluminum block however.

hopefully i'll get it done right before the world ends on 12/21....... i figure the mayan's knew that will be the date my wife finds out how much i paid for this 'mod'.......
Old 11-20-2012, 06:41 PM
JK Super Freak

Wow, thats great. post up some pics if you can!

Robbie said my kit will take 2 weeks to ship currently, i'm having him source the engine/trans too. Is your 5.3 an aluminum or iron block? Just curious, sometimes i read that guys say iron block engines are better for 'trucks', towing, stress, etc. i'm going with Robbie's recommendation for the aluminum block however.

hopefully i'll get it done right before the world ends on 12/21....... i figure the mayan's knew that will be the date my wife finds out how much i paid for this 'mod'.......
Mine is an aluminum 6.2. I went with his rec on the aluminum block too. I like the fact that it weighs very little more than the iron V6. Aluminum is supposed to be good as long as you don't want to go over 650 HP. I planning on keeping mine stock for the sake of longevity and reliability.
Old 11-21-2012, 02:31 PM
JK Enthusiast

Mine is an aluminum 6.2. I went with his rec on the aluminum block too. I like the fact that it weighs very little more than the iron V6. Aluminum is supposed to be good as long as you don't want to go over 650 HP. I planning on keeping mine stock for the sake of longevity and reliability.
That 6.2 with stock setup is gong to be a race car! you should start your own build thread, keep us posted somehow. good luck!!

Quick Reply: Jeep jk engine swap