Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Jeep jk 3.8 Ripp gen 2

Old 10-02-2016, 10:32 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jeep jk 3.8 Ripp gen 2

Hi guys

I have a ripp gen 2 manual jk , just trying to find ways to add more power to the car.

Any ideas ? Will headers make much difference or removal of cats ?

Cheers

Matt
Old 10-02-2016, 11:02 AM
AJ_
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mtomlin
Hi guys I have a ripp gen 2 manual jk , just trying to find ways to add more power to the car. Any ideas ? Will headers make much difference or removal of cats ? Cheers Matt

I don't know how you can add more power to your car because I don't know what kind of car it is but having.... in all seriousness the Ripp in your Jeep is basically the only way I personally know how to add more true power to the bitch ass 3.8. I ran mine without headers for a day.... don't do that lol it feels like the Jeep can't hold enough pressure or something and feels bottom-out-ish
Old 10-02-2016, 11:37 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Matt,

Are you running oversized tires or still stock size? If they are oversized have you changed your differential gears?
Old 10-02-2016, 01:03 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

You should be able to search a bit and find a bunch of long threads about headers. From what I have read, regular headers are not thought very highly of. But long-tube headers may be an option. Some have had positive reviews, others have not. You'll have to read a few discussions to decide for yourself if it is worth the cost.

Though, I think that I have read more posts from people who sold the supercharger/engine and then swapped in a v-8, than there have been posts from people with long-tube headers.
Old 10-02-2016, 02:23 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by AJ_
in all seriousness the Ripp in your Jeep is basically the only way I personally know how to add more true power to the bitch ass 3.8.
There's a few other options:

Sprintex supercharger
Magnuson supercharger
Prodigy Performance turbo

RIPP is a centrifugal supercharger. The other superchargers are variations of positive-displacement superchargers. And the turbo, of course, is a turbo. 3 very different types of forced induction to choose from.

Looks like the RIPP long tube headers add some decent mid-range torque:

Old 10-02-2016, 07:04 PM
JK Newbie

Thanks , I run 33s with stock gearing.

I was thinking to re gear it, but hoped I could just put a different pulley and up the boost on it.

Wasn't sure what the boundaries are for the 3.8 , I heard prodigy had 12 psi or something on there 3.8
Old 10-03-2016, 06:46 AM
JK Freak

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I was thinking to re gear it, but hoped I could just put a different pulley and up the boost on it.

Wasn't sure what the boundaries are for the 3.8 , I heard prodigy had 12 psi or something on there 3.8
Why make power that you cant efficiently put to the ground? Regearing will be the best benefit for your Jeep and add the most performance with a RIPP as you are not staying at a high enough RPM with your gears to really make the boost and HP your looking for. 4.56 with 33's or 4.88 with 35's paired with a light 2 door 6 speed would be a fun Jeep to drive.
Old 10-03-2016, 07:26 AM
JK Newbie

Even RIPP will tell you that you should re-gear properly for your tire size before considering adding forced induction. Boost is not a replacement for proper gearing.

I think your best results will come from re-gearing (4.10 or 4.56 for 33" tires with manual trans; there's tons of discussions you can find about choosing a gear ratio).

If you still want more after re-gearing, talk to RIPP about their long-tube headers. Ask for details about how much more gains you will get from the headers, and in what RPM ranges, when combined with the supercharger.

Modifying the supercharger for more boost (smaller pulley) should be a last resort, because it will likely require additional mods and/or custom tuning, which will not be supported by RIPP. The Prodigy Stage 3 turbo for the 3.8 does run 12 psi boost, but it also requires a Boost-a-Pump to increase the fuel pump flow rate and aftermarket head studs to avoid head gasket leaks.
Old 10-03-2016, 08:14 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Hello,

ALWAYS RE-GEAR! Re-gear for the tire you PLAN to run. Whether you plan to do other performance mods or not, the drive-ability for daily use will be a lot better.

That said, With our long tube headers, you can expect to see +30wtq and up to +25whp. They are a tuned design, to allow for the entire power band to come in 600RPM earlier than stock. T304 stainless steel 16ga, they allow for the re-use of the factory heat shields with minor modification to keep the under hood temperatures down (no melted wires or battery tray).

Our in house 2007 JK 6 SPEED with our Supercharger System and Long Tube Headers has put down 256 WHP and 275 WTQ. Video will be released to our youtube page soon.

In Closing, RE-GEAR, if you still find it lacking, we can help.

RIPP
Old 10-03-2016, 09:56 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by RIPPMODS
Hello,

ALWAYS RE-GEAR! Re-gear for the tire you PLAN to run. Whether you plan to do other performance mods or not, the drive-ability for daily use will be a lot better.

That said, With our long tube headers, you can expect to see +30wtq and up to +25whp. They are a tuned design, to allow for the entire power band to come in 600RPM earlier than stock. T304 stainless steel 16ga, they allow for the re-use of the factory heat shields with minor modification to keep the under hood temperatures down (no melted wires or battery tray).

Our in house 2007 JK 6 SPEED with our Supercharger System and Long Tube Headers has put down 256 WHP and 275 WTQ. Video will be released to our youtube page soon.

In Closing, RE-GEAR, if you still find it lacking, we can help.

RIPP
I will re gear and report back.

Any ideas on the best brand of gears to use.

I'll do 4.56 then ? I don't have any plans to go bigger on tire front.

Quick Reply: Jeep jk 3.8 Ripp gen 2