Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Jeep height vs. mods

Old 06-15-2011, 03:01 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jeep height vs. mods

I don't know if anyone else does this, but I document the height of my Jeep after every modification that can affect height. I put at least 100 miles on the Jeep after each mod before I measure to let the mod settle. Here are my current records:

This enables me to see how each mod affected the Jeep and let me know if I need spacers or whatnot. It appears that my Jeep is now sitting right around 1/2" lower at all four corners following all of my armor mods. Not bad considering I added over 300 lbs. of armor. Gotta love those Rubicon springs!

I am not planning on lifting the Jeep any appreciable amount until I am ready to upsize my tires. That will wait until the stockers wear out. My wife has been understanding about spending on the armor as I justified it to her as protection for an expensive vehicle. But she thinks selling off the stock tires for a fraction of their worth just to get bigger tires is a waste of money (and she is probably right). I don't go offroad enough to really justify bigger tires right now.

I have a teraflex puck leveling kit sitting in my garage that I took off my 2010...I don't think I will install it here, as I appear to be in good shape for now. If my height drops another 1/4" or more after putting more miles on this setup, I will consider using the pucks to bring the height back closer to stock. Now I just cross my fingers that the stock springs handle the additional weight for a couple of years until the tires wear out. Then it's 2.5" lift and 35's.
Old 06-15-2011, 03:03 AM
JK Enthusiast

Oh, and before anyone asks, yes I have an engineering degree. I guess it shows...

You know what they say:

An optimist says the glass is half full...
A pessimist says the glass is half empty...
An engineer says the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

-------
Paul
Old 06-15-2011, 08:29 AM
JK Freak

I have done this as well but not quite to the degree you have. I make my living in design engineering so I must be a sickness. All my modifications, measurements, and services are stored in an Excel spreadsheet so I always have them handy.

Quick Reply: Jeep height vs. mods