Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Jeep has been lifted/w 35's. What to do about gearing and computer now?

Old 04-05-2010, 08:33 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by FrostByte
Can't speak for the Superchips since I don't have one and don't know if it works with the 2010s yet. However, it does add a few performance options the Procal doesn't have.

The AEV is very simple. They give you a little quick reference sheet that you use to configure dip switches and then you just plug it in with the ignition on and the engine off. Almost as soon as you plug it in the horn beeps twice and your done. You pull the chip out and save it for any future mods.

If the Superchips doesn't work with the 2010s yet you could always get the Procal for now and then reset your vehicle to stock and sell the Procal when the Superchips works for your Jeep.
i mean the procal seems to do most things that would be essential, why dont people just buy these and sell them? If its just plug in for 5 mins then its done? I could at least see people going half and half on one lol. How hard is resetting it?
Old 04-05-2010, 08:39 AM
JK Freak

Once you use the procal once it gets coded with your vin# and can't be used on another Jeep until you reset to factory settings. Else, ya a lot of people would do as you said. Reseting to stock again is a dip switch setting plug it in and pull it out. The Procal does all the essential mods you need, tire size, gears and a few others.
Old 04-05-2010, 08:48 AM
JK Freak

Once you use the procal once it gets coded with your vin# and can't be used on another Jeep until you reset to factory settings. Else, ya a lot of people would do as you said. Reseting to stock again is a dip switch setting plug it in and pull it out. The Procal does all the essential mods you need, tire size, gears and a few others.
well at least im buying a product from a company that is intellegent and thinks about these things haha
Old 04-05-2010, 08:59 AM
JK Newbie

Do I have to re gear my 08 if I don't offroad? I just dd. And lotsa hwy.
Old 04-05-2010, 09:03 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Superchips DOES NOT support the 2010's yet. I went with the Procal first to help with speedo and TPMS but just recently got the Hypertech Max Energy programmer.

Does a lot of what the Superchips does as far as tire/gear size and performance tunes like 87 and 93 octane but it does not have the full feature set of the Superchips.

I drive a Rubicon so the rock crawling tune doesn't interest me (I've heard it makes it way too touchy). I don't tow anything so that doesn't interest me. However, lockers in 4hi and the ability to turn off TPMS are huge to me. So far, I've kept my Procal for the TPMS and have put a request into Hypertech to see about adding 4 Hi locker option.

So you have options for 2010...or even for other years. Hypertech does not seem to get much coverage out here!
Old 04-05-2010, 09:04 AM
JK Freak

The simple answer is NO you don't have to. If you do mostly city driving and it is fairly flat you may get away without new gears. It is not a must change, your Jeep will just have more responsiveness and drive better if you do regear. If I were you I would do the lift and tires first and then drive it for awhile and make a decision then. Just be prepared to spend some time in the slow lane
Old 04-05-2010, 09:10 AM
JK Super Freak

The simple answer is NO you don't have to. If you do mostly city driving and it is fairly flat you may get away without new gears. It is not a must change, your Jeep will just have more responsiveness and drive better if you do regear. If I were you I would do the lift and tires first and then drive it for awhile and make a decision then. Just be prepared to spend some time in the slow lane
Agreed. Drive it for a while and see how it is. I drove my JK on the stock 4.10s for 3 months before chainging the gears. Sounds like your Jeep is a DD so more overall drivability may be your goal.

I see your in Chicago...losts of stop and go driving I suppose. A re-gear with help with making the acceleration better, thus increasing the drivability in your situation.

As far as computer mods, I am happy with my Superchip and the 87 tune. After the re-gear and the tune, I went from 12 mpg to 16 mpg
Old 04-05-2010, 09:13 AM
JK Freak

So whats with the octane levels? you can up it to use 93 octane with the Procal? What is the benifit of this?
Old 04-05-2010, 10:48 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Steven4est
So whats with the octane levels? you can up it to use 93 octane with the Procal? What is the benifit of this?
Procal doesn't do any type of performance tuning so this does not apply. Performance programmers like Hypertech and Superchips have this feature. I believe the benefits are more power and better mpg...but I just installed my Hypertech tune 2 days ago so can't comment of the effectiveness of it yet.

Quick Reply: Jeep has been lifted/w 35's. What to do about gearing and computer now?