Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Jeep has been lifted/w 35's. What to do about gearing and computer now?

Old 04-05-2010, 04:16 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jeep has been lifted/w 35's. What to do about gearing and computer now?

Well I'll post the pix when I get time tonight to see what u all think but for now I need help with what to do now.... All that's been done is the lift 3.25 and the tires 35's.

Don't know much about gearing or the computer stuff but it seems like the engine is running harder and is constantly trying to find the right gear on highway. What do I do now?

I know I need to buy a computer so what one do I go with and what do I need to change to make my jeep run better?
Thanks alot.
Old 04-05-2010, 04:25 AM
JK Freak

I would say SuperChips Flashpack...buddy has one and it works well for him...looking to get one myself. Also, gears is a preference....if you have a Rubi and 4.10's then it should be liveable, but again that could depend on what you find liveable. Drive it for a while and see what you think before spending money on gears. My .02....
Old 04-05-2010, 04:55 AM
JK Junkie

My AEV ProCal works fantastic for speedo recalibration.
Old 04-05-2010, 05:06 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Sloppylapiana
Well I'll post the pix when I get time tonight to see what u all think but for now I need help with what to do now.... All that's been done is the lift 3.25 and the tires 35's.

Don't know much about gearing or the computer stuff but it seems like the engine is running harder and is constantly trying to find the right gear on highway. What do I do now?

I know I need to buy a computer so what one do I go with and what do I need to change to make my jeep run better?
Thanks alot.
It sounds like you have an automatic, so gears are in order, either 5.13s or 5.38s. While not equally important, it is important to get your speedometer corrected as in part that is what determines shift points. Either a tuner or a calibration tool such as the ProCal will work.

In the interim, turn overdrive off on all but the highway flats. That will keep the torque converter locked up at moderate cruise speeds and minimize the gear hunting. I'd also invest in a transmission cooler knowing what you need to deal with in Chicago as far as traffic and the potential for really heating up the transmission fluid.
Old 04-05-2010, 05:23 AM
JK Newbie

Yes I hve a 08 unlimited x 4dr auto. So in order to get the jeep driving normal again like when it was stock I need to get the computer to fix the speedo and have new gears put in and a trans cooler? I do a ton of hwy daily. At least 70mi. I wanna do what I have to. To ensure that future drivetrain problems don't occur. I know nothing about gearing but I can stay this jeep was stock and whatever the factory settings were still are. Thank you
Old 04-05-2010, 07:34 AM
JK Freak

Not too many people here know how to do their own gears either. Best to find someone who really knows their stuff. Good luck.
Old 04-05-2010, 08:15 AM
JK Freak

I have a 2010 Wrangler and want to make sure these product will work with my jeep? I believe the Superchip for the 2010 is not out yet? I have 35's, 3 inch lift, and regearing to 4.88's Should i get the AEV procal now or wait till a superchip comes out for the 2010? What is the advantage of the superchip?

How does the AEV work, Do i jsut plug it in, Type in my Specs and thats it? Do i have to keep it plugged in my jeep at all times?
Old 04-05-2010, 08:24 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Both work great, I have the ProCal, cheaper and works great. It'll clear up the speedo and shift points.
Old 04-05-2010, 08:28 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by KSRubicon
Both work great, I have the ProCal, cheaper and works great. It'll clear up the speedo and shift points.
so is it just plug in and thats it? does it stay in?
Old 04-05-2010, 08:29 AM
JK Freak

Can't speak for the Superchips since I don't have one and don't know if it works with the 2010s yet. However, it does add a few performance options the Procal doesn't have.

The AEV is very simple. They give you a little quick reference sheet that you use to configure dip switches and then you just plug it in with the ignition on and the engine off. Almost as soon as you plug it in the horn beeps twice and your done. You pull the chip out and save it for any future mods.

If the Superchips doesn't work with the 2010s yet you could always get the Procal for now and then reset your vehicle to stock and sell the Procal when the Superchips works for your Jeep.

Quick Reply: Jeep has been lifted/w 35's. What to do about gearing and computer now?