Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Jeep Hardtop Lift Using Racor Heavy Storage Lift

Old 04-18-2015, 08:43 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jeep Hardtop Lift Using Racor Heavy Storage Lift

After reading for months and months about diy hardtop lifts as well as the break my wallet hardtop lifts from Quadratec or 4WD...... I finally decided to go with using the Racor Heavy Lift PHL-1R. Buying the product was the first challenge I ran into. I'm not sure if the product is being phased out but I tried to buy it several times off of ebay and Amazon only to have my order canceled. Needless to say, I finally found one for sale and when it arrived, it was missing a part. Racor was very helpful however and was able to ship me the missing part within 5 business days. I installed today and the installation took around 4 hours due to some of the modifications I had to make. The replacement pulley arm they sent me was different than the other 3 so I had to modify that to make it fit. I also had to purchase some 2x4's from Lowe's because I had to span my ceiling joists. The instructions for the lift are garbage but it is easy enough to figure out with some trial and error. Overall I am happy with the lift. I would recommend trying this over fabricating your own and definitely over dropping $400 on one from a website. Overall I have about $180 into the build. I've seen some diy lifts for much cheaper than that, but I do not have the tools or fabricating skills to try that route. I would say for a beginner to intermediate level, this project was good.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Jeep Hardtop Lift.jpg
Views:	1762
Size:	44.4 KB
ID:	606972
Old 04-18-2015, 10:41 AM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Looks good. I'm happy with mine. But once I took the hard top off, I never put it back on...lol. Still hanging in the same spot.
Old 04-18-2015, 11:05 AM
JK Newbie

Are you strapping the hardtop to the bottom of the lift? Or putting it on the lift. I have been looking at that one for a little while now and haven't pulled the trigger yet. And the $180 included the lift?

Last edited by epleeds; 04-18-2015 at 11:08 AM.
Old 04-18-2015, 11:17 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE="madcowtipper23;4087269"]...Buying the product was the first challenge I ran into. I'm not sure if the product is being phased out but I tried to buy it several times off of ebay and Amazon only to have my order canceled. Needless to say, I finally found one for sale... /QUOTE]

So where did you find it? I've been looking for weeks, and everyone seems to be out of stock
Old 04-18-2015, 11:47 AM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by epleeds
Are you strapping the hardtop to the bottom of the lift? Or putting it on the lift. I have been looking at that one for a little while now and haven't pulled the trigger yet. And the $180 included the lift?
I strap the top underneath and put the freedom panels on top.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Racor 001.jpg
Views:	6762
Size:	68.9 KB
ID:	606994  

Last edited by 14Sport; 04-18-2015 at 11:49 AM.
Old 04-18-2015, 06:51 PM
JK Newbie

Thanks 14Sport!

epleeds.... I plan on doing the same setup that 14Sport has.
Old 04-18-2015, 06:53 PM
JK Newbie

Yeti836 - I had the same issue as you, then I found someone selling on eBay that actually had the lift in hand. Keep searching and good luck!
Old 04-18-2015, 09:00 PM
JK Newbie

I have the same lift. You can get the cheaper on amazon. Work great!!!
Old 04-25-2015, 08:38 PM
JK Enthusiast

anyone find this stupid thing in-stock somewhere yet?!? Driving me crazy! Ugh! I'm ignoring the $200+ listings for it.. just a rip off. All major retail vendors seem to be perpetually out of stock, but still listing on their sites. Anywhere carry this on the shelf local?
Old 04-26-2015, 04:33 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Yeti836
anyone find this stupid thing in-stock somewhere yet?!? Driving me crazy! Ugh! I'm ignoring the $200+ listings for it.. just a rip off. All major retail vendors seem to be perpetually out of stock, but still listing on their sites. Anywhere carry this on the shelf local?
I placed an order on Amazon for one. Says it's back ordered for 3 weeks and they will notify me when it ships. I think it was $160. I don't mind waiting since my soft top won't be here for at lease another month.

Quick Reply: Jeep Hardtop Lift Using Racor Heavy Storage Lift