Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Jeep Flighty Feeling, Confirmed by correct Toe-In

Old 01-19-2011, 09:31 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Jeep Flighty Feeling, Confirmed by correct Toe-In

Jeep Specification applies to:

35" Tires

3" Suspension Lift

After some off roading. I have suffered from a flighty feeling syndrome on the freeway.

I got my Jeep Aligned and my specifications ACCORDING TO A WELL RESPECTED CERTIFIED SHOP:

Toe in @ 1/8"
Caster 6 Degrees
Axles Centered.

My Jeep was still flighty.

I took it to another shop that KNOWS WHAT they are doing by experience.

The guy told me, "You have NO Toe in", and "Your caster is perfect" so I had the shop do my 1/8" Toe In and the feeling of my jeep being flighty was gone.

My definition of "Flighty" :

On the freeway, as many, many people have experienced, there has been a “Flighty” feeling. The “Flighty” feeling that I am experiencing feels like: Driving 65-75 MPH (Freeway Speeds) on an ICE/ICY lake, also similar to the feeling of driving on very soft flat sand exceeding speeds of 55MPH. This feeling has the driver thinking that the Jeep feels wobbly and the smallest pockets of air (on the freeway) has the Jeep moving side to side in an uncomfortable fashion.

So long story short. If you guys have adjustable control arms and experience a flighty feeling @ 6 Degrees of Caster, make sure and double check the Toe In!

Last edited by Pluke the 2; 01-19-2011 at 09:45 AM.
Old 01-19-2011, 10:36 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Great advice.
Old 01-19-2011, 10:51 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Had the same problem. I adjusted the toe-in per the instructions on this forums tech page, and had the "flighty" feeling. I'd call it more "mushy". Whatever.

I found another web site that explained a way to place a straight edge along the lower edge of the tires and found my toe-in to be a slight toe-out, less than 1/16". As measured by the "same spots" on the tire, or so I thought, there was about 1/8" toe-in!

By using the straight edge method I got it dialed in at about 3/32" toe-in. Big difference - no more mushy feeling.

Here's the procedure (no pics, sorry):

Cycle the steering stop-to-stop a couple of times and center the steering wheel. I put newspapers under the tires to help them slide on the pavement easier. Makes a big difference when you get to the adjustment part.

Place a known good straight edge up tight against the tire. I used a couple of 2-foot lengths of angle aluminum I had laying around and propped them up by using some scrap 2x6's - so the straight edge (SE) is about 5 1/2" off of the ground and parallel to the tire. Be sure the SE is tight against the tire and is not being pushed out on one side by raised lettering or other protrusion. I read where someone used florescent tubes bungeed to the tires. Whatever - as long as they are straight. Having an edge for the tape measure to grab on helps.

Do the same thing on the other side. If you are like me, I usually end up doing things like this solo. Putting a weight on one of the SEs helps to hold it in place when you take measurements.

Measure from front of tire SE to SE to back of tire SE to SE. Be sure the tape measure is not bent around the tire. If you need to make and adjustment, loosen the 15mm lock on the tie rod and adjust the knurled knob. It's reversed-threaded so screwing it "in" (clockwise) will length the tie rod. Like any good carpenter, measure twice and adjust once. Then measure again. As with any "spec" that is in inches instead of degrees (like a proper alignment would be), I adjusted so my 35" BFGs were 3/32" toe-in, that is the front of the tire SE to SE was 3/32" closer than the rear of the tire SE to SE. Check and double-check that the SEs are tight against the tires.

When done, tighten the 15mm nut on the clamp. Cycle the steering a couple more times and measure again to make sure they stay the same. Differences after cycling the steering could signal worn or damaged steering components.

Disclaimer: as I mentioned above, a proper alignment measures toe by degrees, not inches. I believe the spec is .07 to .13 degrees toe-in - maybe someone could verify. Measuring further up or down the tire, or measuring different sized tires than my 35" BFGs, will yield different toe-in measurements but may in fact be the same amount of toe. Adjust between 1/16" and 1/8" of toe-in and test ride. Fine-tune a bit if you think it will help. Just don't exceed these measurements unless you are sure you know what you are doing.

Long description for an easy adjustment. Hope it helps.
Old 01-19-2011, 01:57 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the information. I'm a new member after purchasing an 09 JK with a 4" lift and 37's on it from another forum member. Love the JK but I've been experiencing the same symptoms. It's in the shop now getting aligned, new offset ball joint and steering stabilizer installed. I'm calling the shop now with the toe-in information.
Old 01-19-2011, 06:18 PM
Foo
JK Enthusiast

With my 35 MTR KeV's it was hard to get a measurement with the sidewall edges.

I guessed and it was a tad better, but not great.

Thank so Much AZ Jeeper, I'm going to try your method!

Last edited by Foo; 01-19-2011 at 06:20 PM.
Old 01-23-2011, 11:03 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default Toe in

My 2011 Unlimited felt flighty after I put on a Leveling kit and 34" tires. Had a chance today to get it up on a lift and wanted to check toe in. Surprise-actually had negative toe in of about 1/4 inch. Corrected to 1/8 inch and flighty feeling is gone.
Old 01-26-2011, 07:26 PM
Foo
JK Enthusiast

Default Update!

My steering stabilizer is leaking hence why I discover this.... So today in the morning I had the death wobble 4 times! Ended up turning around and going home and took the motorcycle to work... a tad chilly at 37 degrees.

Tonight I did AZJeep's method and discovered my first guess I did a 9 months ago was about 5/16's or so of toe in!

I backed it back till I had about 1.5/16's (ya ya no 32nd on my tape measure) and gave it a go.

Same route no wobble's, much improved flightiness, almost felt like I was driven the Titan..almost.

Three Cheers to AZJeeper!

Last edited by Foo; 01-29-2011 at 12:11 AM.
Old 01-29-2011, 07:24 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

great advice!

Quick Reply: Jeep Flighty Feeling, Confirmed by correct Toe-In