Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Jeep Died

Old 08-29-2013, 07:27 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jeep Died

So I have a 2013 JKUR that is automatic. I have a 2.5 lift and duratrac 315's on it and currently at 19,000 miles. Today while driving in stop and go traffic the Jeep just died. No sputter, no cough, nothing, just died. The steering wheel locked up and I coasted to a stop. Put it in park and it cranked right up and I drove home. What the F could have caused this?? Not a single issue until today.
Old 08-29-2013, 07:38 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2913074160.jpg
Views:	260
Size:	17.9 KB
ID:	493285

Sorry I couldn't help my self. Sounds strange man. I'd just keep an eye on it. Hard to say what it could be
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1426101904.png
Views:	70
Size:	59.7 KB
ID:	493284  
Old 08-29-2013, 07:49 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by kh202
Attachment 493285

Sorry I couldn't help my self. Sounds strange man. I'd just keep an eye on it. Hard to say what it could be
^this guy
lol
Old 08-29-2013, 07:56 PM
JK Enthusiast

My wife had a car that did the same thing. It did it at the most convenient times, like driving up a grade on the freeway. It turned out to be a intermittent issue with the ignition switch.

I hope this helps.
Old 08-29-2013, 07:57 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by J-VET
My wife had a car that did the same thing. It did it at the most convenient times, like driving up a grade on the freeway. It turned out to be a intermittent issue with the ignition switch.

I hope this helps.
Thanks for the reply
Old 08-30-2013, 01:09 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Personally, I would take it to the dealer and have them check it out. Plus, it is then documented and if it happens multiple times (think 3) w/i the first year you can get help under the lemon laws.

Not the same vehicle, but our other vehicle is a Jeep Commander that did the same thing at around 50K miles. They replaced all the control modules a couple of times and did a bunch of other stuff w/o solving it. Finally, replaced all the wiring harnesses which seems to have solved the engine just quiting (although it does continue to throw DTCs). Fortunately we bought the full vehicle lifetime warranty ... otherwise it would have cost us over $15K in repairs for that probelm. Plus, it was extremeley dangerous to be driving a vehicle at 70-80 mph and have it just shut down.

Get it documented while under warranty!!!

And, if it happens again, file w/ the NHSA -- enough complaints and Chrysler will be forced to address it.

Last edited by nickcoleman; 08-30-2013 at 01:23 AM.
Old 08-30-2013, 03:32 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check your grounds.had that happen to me and it was a loose ground
Old 08-30-2013, 03:32 AM
JK Newbie

The steering wheel locking up sounds very odd. It shouldn't lock unless the key is turned to the off position. Are you sure it locked up, or was it just hard to turn because you lose power steering once the engine dies? Another possibility, though it seems unlikely with your low mileage, is a bad fuel pump. No fuel, no go. Just had to replace the fuel pump in my son's Volvo 850 for this reason.
Old 08-30-2013, 05:28 AM
JK Jedi

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by nickcoleman
Personally, I would take it to the dealer and have them check it out. Plus, it is then documented and if it happens multiple times (think 3) w/i the first year you can get help under the lemon laws.

Not the same vehicle, but our other vehicle is a Jeep Commander that did the same thing at around 50K miles. They replaced all the control modules a couple of times and did a bunch of other stuff w/o solving it. Finally, replaced all the wiring harnesses which seems to have solved the engine just quiting (although it does continue to throw DTCs). Fortunately we bought the full vehicle lifetime warranty ... otherwise it would have cost us over $15K in repairs for that probelm. Plus, it was extremeley dangerous to be driving a vehicle at 70-80 mph and have it just shut down.

Get it documented while under warranty!!!

And, if it happens again, file w/ the NHSA -- enough complaints and Chrysler will be forced to address it.
X2 my mom had an Oldsmobile that did this......lemon....as much as ihate going to dealers, u gotta bring it to ur dealer just to be safe. Good luck
Old 08-30-2013, 05:37 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would reseat the fuses and check your grounds.

Quick Reply: Jeep Died