Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

jeep death wobble

Old 06-11-2011, 05:41 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default jeep death wobble

09 jeep unlimited 4" Rancho lift drove perfect for about a week changed steering stabilizer and drove this morning and shakes like my Ford by the way I still have stock wheels New ones aren't in yet any ideas?
Old 06-11-2011, 06:28 AM
JK Super Freak

Can you give us more info on the wobble? Did you have to come to a complete stop to stop the wobble? Did it start after a bump or just at a certain speed?
Planman on the forum has a great write up of info to help diagnose and fix death wobble but first off need to make sure that is what you are having.
Old 06-11-2011, 06:35 AM
JK Enthusiast

It starts when you hit a bump and yes you almost have to come to a complete stop before it goes away. And it just feels loose in the front now. I done understand why it was fine and know w it h a aftermarket SS it starts doing this I have a super duty Ford that did this and I added 2 steering stabilizers and it fixed it. Also its doing this with stock wheels its going to be terrible with 35s right
Old 06-11-2011, 07:02 AM
JK Enthusiast

Don't drive it anymore for now. The more it rattles the worse you are going to wallow out holes and wear out front end components. You need to inspect every front end component for damage now.

When you installed your lift, did you loosen the control arms, track bar, etc., and retorque them to the proper lb ft at the new height?

Read this.

Jason
Old 06-11-2011, 11:44 AM
JK Enthusiast

Ive checked over everything and torque everything a gain it tight no slop took for ride and same place does de should I take off the Rancho SS and put the stock one on and try it thats the only difference siNEC this dome de started
Old 06-11-2011, 12:18 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BlackBandit
Ive checked over everything and torque everything a gain it tight no slop took for ride and same place does de should I take off the Rancho SS and put the stock one on and try it thats the only difference siNEC this dome de started
The amount of play on the track bar can be less than an 1/8th inch and cause DW. The play in my track bar was barely noticeable, have a video of it somewhere on YouTube. Replaced it and installed larger bolts (9/16") and haven't had an issue since. Also put on a teraflex SS since the stock one was shot.
Old 06-11-2011, 12:21 PM
JK Enthusiast

Were you texting that last bit while you were wobbling?

A steering stabilizer shouldn't cause DW to my knowledge. More likely, your changing the SS out might "mask" or "unmask" an underlying problem that was already there to begin with.

Jason
Old 06-11-2011, 01:23 PM
JK Enthusiast

ok after going over and over i took off the rancho stering stabilizer and reinstalled the factory one drove it and drives fine no death wobble. The only thing i can come up with is the rancho is pretty solid and with my stock wheels and tires it to lite? and it kinda acts like a rigid front just me guessing any othr ideas???
Old 06-12-2011, 06:18 AM
JK Enthusiast

yes i read your whole write up very good and went over it step by step onc by myself and once with another mechanic took for a drive and it still wanted to do it so i returned home replaced sterring stabilizer with original one took for drive and drives fine. My only question is i compared the two sterring stabilizers and the rancho one is tough to pull out or in is it to tough with the small wheels and tires??
Old 06-12-2011, 07:17 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BlackBandit
yes i read your whole write up very good and went over it step by step onc by myself and once with another mechanic took for a drive and it still wanted to do it so i returned home replaced sterring stabilizer with original one took for drive and drives fine. My only question is i compared the two sterring stabilizers and the rancho one is tough to pull out or in is it to tough with the small wheels and tires??
The SS shouldn't be easy to pull in and out. The idea that people have of the SS causing DW is because the SS moves too easily and captures air in the cylinder. The stiffer the SS the harder it is for the wheels to start a DW situation.

Just to be sure, you are driving over the same bump, stretch of road, to induce the DW? I know mine was very speed specific...63mph nothing, 65mph holy hell hold on.

Quick Reply: jeep death wobble