Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Jeep darting across lanes....Help

Old 05-21-2011, 07:40 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bonedoc
Okay....dude. Everyone here is trying to help with some suggestions. The one I keep seeing and haven't seen you try because you keep justifying it is the air pressure. Try it! just lower them to 28-30lbs and see how it runs. If it changes nothing then air them back up. Just sayin...people are making suggestions, that is one that, unless I missed it, you haven't tried.
No I have not tried to air down my tires yet because I am 99% sure that is not it. Like I said before this just started happening a week ago and lift/tires have been on for 5 or more weeks before this.I will if all else fails that makes more sense.I am also on 20's so I don't have lots of side wall to work with.
Originally Posted by Mastiff
I agree with the OP that while 40 may be high, it should not cause "darting across lanes" unless something else is going on too. If going to lower pressure "fixes" this, it's surely a bandaid, kind of like throwing a steering stabilizer on.

Based on what you said, I think you need to find a new shop. Anyone who says you shouldn't have big tires on a JK is totally out of the loop. It looks like most dealers in Arizona have a couple JK's with 35's on the lot.

There must be a number of shops up there in Phoenix that practically do nothing but put lift kits on JK's 6 days a week. I'd try to find one to get some help. Good luck.
Oh I will not be going back. Fletcher tires in GoodYear is a joke. He also told me to get a steering stabilizer to help with the big tires. It took sooooo much restraint not to smack him. I don't understand that when I tell them " it was fine until last week" don't they understand. They just keep going in circles and not getting anywhere.
Originally Posted by NickJK
I'll agree with the post above... New shop is a must. I'm not sure how an alignment shop could tell you that an increase in positive caster (ie-new ca's) won't change your vehicles handling characteristics. Caster, camber, toe, & balancing is all these guys are supposed to do!! Sounds like a guy that can run the machines bit doesn't comprehend how the physics of angle adjustments actually work! You ever get that angle finder?
And that was there BEST guy he said they had. Good lord. I had my daughters 12th birthday party today and didn't get any me time in to get it. Will be getting it tomorrow.

Originally Posted by NickJK
http://project-jk.com/jeep-jk-write-...-end-alignment

Go to the link above for your off center steering wheel fix. That's an easy 5 min fix. It also explains alignment on the JK.
Ya thats a great write up. I have already done my steering wheel adjustment and then I took it to get aligned and now its off again. I thought that it was there job to ALIGN everything not just my toe.

Im taking it in to my dads shop Monday night. Going to put it on the rack and check every nut and bolt and see whats what. Thanks again guys for all of your support and ideas. We will find the problem and hope this might help the next jeeper if it every happens to them.
Old 05-24-2011, 03:53 PM
JK Enthusiast

OK so went to my dad's shop and did some looking and everything seems fine. Put it on the alignment rack and did some adjustments. My caster is at 2.5 degrees and my dad thinks that might be the problem. So im going to order some lower front aca's and see how that helps. Does it matter if I get upper or lowers? Because one or the other should work right?
Old 05-24-2011, 04:18 PM
JK Enthusiast

I'm not sure if this has been mentioned but soon after installing my lift kit i started to experience the DW's around 40-45mph.

after numerous times re-checking the torque and alignment nothing seemed to work. What ended up resolving the issue for me was new swawbar quick disconnects.. When i installed my lift I had also installed the tereflex quick disconnects, well after awhile i grew tired of the way they operated and purchased the JKS disco's. as soon as i replaced them and positioned the swaybar perfectly horizontal it went away.

For that reason if you do end up replacing them i highly recommend the JKS quick disconnects. you can easily adjust the length of those ones.

Just letting you know what ended up fixing my issues.
Old 05-24-2011, 05:02 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JKSTI&R1
OK so went to my dad's shop and did some looking and everything seems fine. Put it on the alignment rack and did some adjustments. My caster is at 2.5 degrees and my dad thinks that might be the problem. So im going to order some lower front aca's and see how that helps. Does it matter if I get upper or lowers? Because one or the other should work right?
Even though either uppers or lowers can adjust castor, most choose to start with the front lowers. One, they are beefier than stock and will likely take the hits while wheeling. Two, the front uppers are a pita to install because the frame mount bolt has to be cut to be removed due to clearance issues. So if I were to choose, go lowers.
Old 05-24-2011, 10:28 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Alias
I'm not sure if this has been mentioned but soon after installing my lift kit i started to experience the DW's around 40-45mph.

after numerous times re-checking the torque and alignment nothing seemed to work. What ended up resolving the issue for me was new swawbar quick disconnects.. When i installed my lift I had also installed the tereflex quick disconnects, well after awhile i grew tired of the way they operated and purchased the JKS disco's. as soon as i replaced them and positioned the swaybar perfectly horizontal it went away.

For that reason if you do end up replacing them i highly recommend the JKS quick disconnects. you can easily adjust the length of those ones.

Just letting you know what ended up fixing my issues.
Right on. Thanks for the info
Originally Posted by renpia
Even though either uppers or lowers can adjust castor, most choose to start with the front lowers. One, they are beefier than stock and will likely take the hits while wheeling. Two, the front uppers are a pita to install because the frame mount bolt has to be cut to be removed due to clearance issues. So if I were to choose, go lowers.
Ok cool. Thanks for letting me know. Ill be getting the lower for sure then....
Old 05-25-2011, 05:03 AM
JK Newbie

With only 2.5 castor you are guaranteed to have a brand new Jeep after CA's if you get that angle up to the 6-7 range. Spec on that is supposed to be 4 anyhow (factory setting)... And with the bigger tires it can still feel a little flighty at that.
Old 05-25-2011, 08:54 AM
JK Enthusiast

No I have not tried to air down my tires yet because I am 99% sure that is not it.
PM me your address and I will ship you a tire gauge. FOR THE LOVE OF GOD JUST LOWER YOUR TIRE PRESSURE AND SEE IF IT HELPS before you spend more money! ...A fool and his money are soon parted....
Old 05-25-2011, 09:02 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Your caster is too low, adjust it to around 4 degrees.
Old 05-25-2011, 10:58 AM
JK Freak

I am curious. What did the alignment shop set your toe to?
Old 05-25-2011, 07:42 PM
JK Enthusiast

this may have nothing to do with it, but my steering sensor went out and I never knew it - my dealer fixed it for me and the track of my Jeep improved a great deal. Mine did similar to what yours did... got in it one day and it felt scary loose and wondered way more then the day before but I couldn't find anything. It was like that for months. I chocked it up to tire wear and what not. After the dealer told me they fixed it - the drive home was back to normal with no "getting blown by the wind" feeling any more.

Quick Reply: Jeep darting across lanes....Help