Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Jeep darting across lanes....Help

Old 05-19-2011, 06:55 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Erm.. Did you recenter your steering wheel?
Old 05-19-2011, 08:03 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by betjeep09
Erm.. Did you recenter your steering wheel?
Yep before I got it aligned.....Will find out more tomorrow
Old 05-19-2011, 08:17 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jksteve89
Here in Alaska I experience this all the time (pulled into lanes) on high traffic volume roadways, especially here around Anchorage. This is do to ruts being caused by people being allowed to run studded tires 7 months out of the year and soft ground under the pavement (or so I think).

If the driver was traveling between AZ and So Cal I don't think he found too many roads with studded snow tire wear on them.....just sayin....

Last edited by Papa Surf; 05-19-2011 at 08:26 PM.
Old 05-20-2011, 08:53 PM
JK Enthusiast

OK so I get back to the shop after I had them check everything out and they found nothing wrong.I had them drive it and all he can say is " its because you have big tire,those types of car arn't made for big tires" WFT??? I didn't even know how to respond. So they only did an adjustment on my toe and I was out. I even asked him about the adjustable ca's and he said that it wouldn't help with my problem. Now Im lost.
Oh and now my steering wheel is off a little.........
Old 05-20-2011, 09:54 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JKSTI&R1
OK so I get back to the shop after I had them check everything out and they found nothing wrong.I had them drive it and all he can say is " its because you have big tire,those types of car arn't made for big tires" WFT??? I didn't even know how to respond. So they only did an adjustment on my toe and I was out. I even asked him about the adjustable ca's and he said that it wouldn't help with my problem. Now Im lost.
How much air pressure are you running?
Old 05-20-2011, 10:35 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by lopezv123
How much air pressure are you running?
I am running 40lbs, but thats the thing. I have been running them at 40lbs ever since I installed the lift and tires 5 weeks ago (about 2000 miles) and had no problems what so ever. Everything started last Friday on my way to Cali.....
Old 05-21-2011, 04:55 AM
JK Super Freak

Okay....dude. Everyone here is trying to help with some suggestions. The one I keep seeing and haven't seen you try because you keep justifying it is the air pressure. Try it! just lower them to 28-30lbs and see how it runs. If it changes nothing then air them back up. Just sayin...people are making suggestions, that is one that, unless I missed it, you haven't tried.
Old 05-21-2011, 06:52 AM
JK Enthusiast

I agree with the OP that while 40 may be high, it should not cause "darting across lanes" unless something else is going on too. If going to lower pressure "fixes" this, it's surely a bandaid, kind of like throwing a steering stabilizer on.

Based on what you said, I think you need to find a new shop. Anyone who says you shouldn't have big tires on a JK is totally out of the loop. It looks like most dealers in Arizona have a couple JK's with 35's on the lot.

There must be a number of shops up there in Phoenix that practically do nothing but put lift kits on JK's 6 days a week. I'd try to find one to get some help. Good luck.

Last edited by Robar; 05-21-2011 at 07:25 AM. Reason: Blacklisted dealer
Old 05-21-2011, 11:49 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by JKSTI&R1
I'll agree with the post above... New shop is a must. I'm not sure how an alignment shop could tell you that an increase in positive caster (ie-new ca's) won't change your vehicles handling characteristics. Caster, camber, toe, & balancing is all these guys are supposed to do!! Sounds like a guy that can run the machines bit doesn't comprehend how the physics of angle adjustments actually work! You ever get that angle finder?
Old 05-21-2011, 11:52 AM
JK Newbie

http://project-jk.com/jeep-jk-write-...-end-alignment

Go to the link above for your off center steering wheel fix. That's an easy 5 min fix. It also explains alignment on the JK.

Quick Reply: Jeep darting across lanes....Help