Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Jeep darting across lanes....Help

Old 05-18-2011, 12:45 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by scononie
seriously? That's a crappy band-aid excuse.
Way to thread-crap. Do me a favor scononie- go out to your jeep and jack up the tire pressure to 10 psi higher than it is now and tell me how it handles.
Old 05-18-2011, 04:16 PM
JK Newbie

I had the same issue with the rear end centering. Loosened rear trackbar bracket and adjusted it on the axle as best I could. Also had flighty steering... Set of adjustable control arms to increase castor fixed it. I would say you should spend $4 at harbor freight and check your castor angle. I was down to 3 degrees after my install... 7 seemed to solve my issue. Good luck!
Old 05-18-2011, 05:02 PM
JK Super Freak

I was having a problem were my jeep was pulling to the left really hard, if i would of let my steering wheel go it would of taken off to the left mighty quick. So, of course i was pulling my hair out trying to figure this out. I took it to my local tire shop,and my front left tire had about 15 pounds of air in it, so they pupmped it back up and it fixed the problem for good. That was an easy fix their Not saying you are gonna have a fix like that, but it wont hurt to check your tire pressure, any ways good luck and hope you figure it out.
Old 05-18-2011, 05:54 PM
JK Enthusiast

Ok so I went and checked my tires and they are at 40lbs give or take a pound. What could the alignment shop even have done? If there isn't really that much they can adjust? And if I do need control arms, do I need front and rear or just front and do I need upper and lower? Thanks for all the help and input guys

Ill get a caster angle checker tomorrow and see how bad its off.......Also if I straighten the steering wheel and look at both front tires, the both seem to be off a bit. Like the driver side is turned left a little and the passenger side is to the right a little and thats with the wheel straight. Would this be my toe is off? And is this something that the shop could of done?

Last edited by JKSTI&R1; 05-18-2011 at 06:00 PM.
Old 05-18-2011, 07:06 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Sahara Tan Rubicon
Did you drill the hole in the factory bracket? After it is installed you should have 2 bolts. One to keep it from rotating so that the TB actually works.
I had my TF 2.5" spring lift installed at the dealer before I bought it. I went and looked and they left that second bolt out. Couldn't be bothered to drill the hole I guess. So far no wild steering issues, though a little twitchy. I can see how it could become a problem if the bracket started rotating though.
Old 05-18-2011, 07:20 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JKSTI&R1
Ok so I went and checked my tires and they are at 40lbs give or take a pound.
40 PSI? Wow, that seems way too high. You must feel every pebble in the road. Search the forum for setting optimal tire pressures performing the high tech chalk test method. For the street, I run 27 PSI pressure on my 37 x 12.50 Falken Wild Peaks. I'm very happy with the ride and wear pattern on the tread. Keep us posted.
Old 05-18-2011, 07:58 PM
JK Enthusiast

40 is way to much! let em down to 28 and try it.
Old 05-18-2011, 08:31 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by JKSTI&R1
Ok so I went and checked my tires and they are at 40lbs give or take a pound. What could the alignment shop even have done? If there isn't really that much they can adjust? And if I do need control arms, do I need front and rear or just front and do I need upper and lower? Thanks for all the help and input guys

Ill get a caster angle checker tomorrow and see how bad its off.......Also if I straighten the steering wheel and look at both front tires, the both seem to be off a bit. Like the driver side is turned left a little and the passenger side is to the right a little and thats with the wheel straight. Would this be my toe is off? And is this something that the shop could of done?
It's a Jeep!! You NEED everything!! LOL If they make it... I need it! That being said. If you go for new CA's... You need front most (and that's really all w your setup). If you don't wheel it that hard... Skip the JKS and go affordable so you can do upper and lower. Better to be fully adjustable AND get it all done in one shot... Instead of a follow-up install
If you change your mind later. (This is for flighty steering. The pulling and rear end are separate. Unless your caster angles differ on driver vs passenger side - which isn't really possible w/out adjustable CA's or damage- the pulling will be a different issue.) Next to adjustable track bar... My CA were the biggest difference on my rig.

As for toe in... Yes... Pointing in or out is exactly what toe is & exactly what the alignment shop messes with. (But they usually get that right with all the fancy computers now) However, looking at it means nothing. There is a serious optical illusion looking at your front end. Even w proper toe they often look like they are pointing out. There is a front end alignment thread on here that'll walk you through your front end. But, just measure distance at front of tires vs distance at rear of tires on front axle. Should be slightly less in front (ie-toe in). Happy Wrenching !!!
Old 05-18-2011, 09:48 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by tinglima
40 PSI? Wow, that seems way too high. You must feel every pebble in the road. Search the forum for setting optimal tire pressures performing the high tech chalk test method. For the street, I run 27 PSI pressure on my 37 x 12.50 Falken Wild Peaks. I'm very happy with the ride and wear pattern on the tread. Keep us posted.
Well heres the thing, I have had the tires and lift for over a month now and from day 1 I had the tires at 40lbs ( 65psi is max ) and the ride is as good as stock. I bought a front TB to fix the front axle centering, the company that sold it to me waited 2 weeks to let me know it was out of stock. So long story short, I had to drive about a month with the front axle off center and not aligned( wanted to wait till I got the TB installed) and it drove 100x's better than after my alignment. So I don't think its the tire psi.
Old 05-18-2011, 09:50 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Sahara Tan Rubicon
Did you drill the hole in the factory bracket? After it is installed you should have 2 bolts. One to keep it from rotating so that the TB actually works.
Yes I did drill out a hole on the bracket to install the new rear track bar bracket from TF

Quick Reply: Jeep darting across lanes....Help