Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Jeep darting across lanes....Help

Old 05-15-2011, 11:46 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC06623.jpg
Views:	1194
Size:	27.4 KB
ID:	160812
Originally Posted by wayoflife
they are typically shiny silver bolts that will be sitting a bit off center on top of big washers. the washers are supposed to hold everything in place in between two embossed tabs on the control arm mounts but, they rarely do a good job of this.
ok so I don't see any like that. I looked at the track bar and took a picture. It does look like some of the black paint around the bolt of the track bar is gone. So it looks like there might be some movement.But I do remember on one of the bolts it looked like it had some movement from the first day I bought it ( before the TF track bar ) Ill check the torque in the morning ......
And that makes since about the springs....... Thanks for all the help with this

Last edited by JKSTI&R1; 05-16-2011 at 12:56 AM.
Old 05-16-2011, 03:08 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 362 Likes on 270 Posts

While installing the lift that needed to be loosened, so that could have mucked up the paint. No point guessing: Put a torque wrench on it. If it turns out it is loose, remove it completely and ensure that the hole is round and not enlarged. If it is damaged in any way, you'll want to have washers welded on it--slop is not allowed lest you suffer death wobble.

I just helped install a TF 2.5" coil lift Saturday and he had the newly redesigned rear trackbar relocation bracket--it had two holes. In fact, I have to wonder if maybe you'd be better off without the trackbar relocation bracket. They are a failure point, and many of us have installed a BB without a relocation bracket and had very minor shifting of the rear axle (mine was off about 1/4" back when I had a BB).

Not that I think your rear trackbar is causing your problem. I'm leaning more towards your alignment shop installed cam bolts and one of them has loosened. As WOL describes, you really don't want those if you wheel at all. Better to have the shop that did that remove them, weld up the damage they have done, and install front, lower adjustable control arms (LCAs) to properly set the camber. Without front LCAs, your steering will be a little flighty (but consistently so).

Last edited by Mark Doiron; 05-16-2011 at 03:11 AM.
Old 05-16-2011, 04:52 AM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

also hopefully the shop tightned everything with the jeep on the ground under its own weight, and not on a lift. that will bind up the bushings and could also contribute to your poor handling. id say from that missing paint around the trackbar bolt that they zipped it on with an impact gun AND thats what wore the paint off...and u could also try removing the rear trackbar bracket and that will move the axle to the right and center it more with your setup.
Old 05-16-2011, 08:58 PM
JK Enthusiast

Hey all thanks for all the input guys .......

Ok so I re torqued it and it tightened it just a fraction so we will see. Also when I was re tightening everything I check my track bar adjuster and one I could get to the 55lbs tight but the other one was stripped and wont tighten. So I took it off and Ill get a new better one tomorrow but do you think that was the problem? The whole adjuster would have to have turned and move. And the front one was tight at 55lbs (witch is what TF now says is the right torque settings) so I doubt it did move. I took a look on you tube what the "Death Wobble" was and It definitely was NOT that. When the jeep jumped into the other lane, it was all of a sudden, very smooth and like I said it basically shut the jeep off (brakes hit, cruse control stopped and the esp or bas or both lights flashed) I just dont understand why all of a sudden?
Old 05-17-2011, 12:46 AM
JK Freak

The same thing has just started happening to me, will tear into in the morning.
Old 05-17-2011, 10:18 PM
JK Enthusiast

OK so I fix the bolt and took it for a drive. It seems like it darts alot when I hit a bump and if I hit the brakes hard, it pull to the left so hard it would run off the road if I let it. Is this all the same problem?
Old 05-17-2011, 11:11 PM
JK Freak

Mine almost feels like there is a "dead spot" in the middle of my turning radius. I wonder if the steering gear box has anything to do with it.
Old 05-18-2011, 04:51 AM
JK Enthusiast

Any chance the tires are over inflated?
Old 05-18-2011, 05:47 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by tinglima
Any chance the tires are over inflated?
DING DING DING DING

$5 says your alignment guys "helped you out" by putting the tire pressure back up to recommended. Drop it back down and I bet some of your symptoms will disappear.
Old 05-18-2011, 06:35 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by George F.
DING DING DING DING

$5 says your alignment guys "helped you out" by putting the tire pressure back up to recommended. Drop it back down and I bet some of your symptoms will disappear.
seriously? That's a crappy band-aid excuse.

Quick Reply: Jeep darting across lanes....Help