Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Jeep darting across lanes....Help

Old 05-15-2011, 11:11 PM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by JKSTI&R1
NO. just by feel. I am tired from the drive LOL. But I will tomorrow before I take it back to the shop. It pulls very very hard to the left, I hope its just I hit a pothole and knocked the alignment off. Hopefully that fixes the pulling problem, but I don't know about the rest of the problems......
well, that's just the thing, you have a basic lift and there's really not a lot that can go off on your alignment as you don't have anything that can be set. most of your components are fixed in place. a pull to one side can be caused by not having enough air in one tire, too much camber on one wheel due to a bent axle c or improper lower control arm setting, one that is bent or a cam bolt that's come loose. i have also see where a bent steering stabilzer shaft would tend to keep the front tires pointing slightly off centered and, i have seen where a bent sector shaft could do the same thing. whatever the case it, something has to be off.
Old 05-15-2011, 11:12 PM
JK-Forum Founder

NO. I was on the hwy only. It a 2011 and has 2600 miles now and I have never had a chance to get it off road yet. Bought it new in March.....
did you install the lift or did you have it done and is there a chance that cam bolts were installed? this is something that alignment shops like to do to help set more positive caster and it really is unfortuante as they are a big mistake. in order to install them, you have to cut out your axle mounts so that the holes become slots and, if the bolts come loose (common problem), this can significantly change the position of your axle - thus cause it to pull
Old 05-15-2011, 11:12 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

heres a few pics. I know this isn't 100% the right way to tell, but you guys can get the idea......
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC06617.jpg
Views:	277
Size:	36.6 KB
ID:	160809   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC06616.jpg
Views:	273
Size:	30.7 KB
ID:	160810  
Old 05-15-2011, 11:15 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by wayoflife
did you install the lift or did you have it done and is there a chance that cam bolts were installed? this is something that alignment shops like to do to help set more positive caster and it really is unfortuante as they are a big mistake.
My dad is the manager at fletcher tire here in Az, so I did it with him and unless it came with them ( I don't think it did ) then we didn't install it. Do you think the alignment shop did?
Old 05-15-2011, 11:16 PM
JK-Forum Founder

heres a few pics. I know this isn't 100% the right way to tell, but you guys can get the idea......
no, it isn't the right way to tell and even if it is off, it still should NOT cause the problems you seem to be having. track bar relocation brackets are not an exact science and the correction they provide is dictated by the amount of lift you have. if you have more lift than what it is designed to address, your axle will shift to the passenger side and, if you have less, it will go toward the drive side. this is totally normal and why an adjustable track bar is the better way to go for such a small lift.
Old 05-15-2011, 11:18 PM
JK-Forum Founder

My dad is the manager at fletcher tire here in Az, so I did it with him and unless it came with them ( I don't think it did ) then we didn't install it. Do you think the alignment shop did?
like i said, it's not uncommon for an alignment shop to install cam bolts as they are a cheap easy way to add more positive caster to your front axle. if you do have them on, one most likely came loose and that would explain a lot.
Old 05-15-2011, 11:21 PM
JK Enthusiast

no, it isn't the right way to tell and even if it is off, it still should NOT cause the problems you seem to be having. track bar relocation brackets are not an exact science and the correction they provide is dictated by the amount of lift you have. if you have more lift than what it is designed to address, your axle will shift to the passenger side and, if you have less, it will go toward the drive side. this is totally normal and why an adjustable track bar is the better way to go for such a small lift.
Ya I don't think the rear is causing me to be flighty but like I said the rear was centered untill I came home from my trip after having all the steering problems that were not there before my trip. To me the feel of driving it now feels like something is wrong or broken. It doesn't feel the same as it did last week and I have had the lift and a adj front track bar on foe weeks with 0 problems.....
Old 05-15-2011, 11:23 PM
JK Enthusiast

like i said, it's not uncommon for an alignment shop to install cam bolts as they are a cheap easy way to add more positive caster to your front axle. if you do have them on, one most likely came loose and that would explain a lot.
What do they look like or what should I look for? Sorry new to jeep
Old 05-15-2011, 11:26 PM
JK-Forum Founder

Ya I don't think the rear is causing me to be flighty but like I said the rear was centered untill I came home from my trip after having all the steering problems that were not there before my trip.
well, by the look of it, i would guess that your coils settled and now you have less lift than what you were seeing right after installing the lift. that would explain why the shift is toward the driver side.

To me the feel of driving it now feels like something is wrong or broken. It doesn't feel the same as it did last week and I have had the lift and a adj front track bar on foe weeks with 0 problems.....
i would start by checking to see if you have cam bolts installed. if you do, have them reset and tighted to 125 ft. lbs of torque or, remove them, weld on washers and have adjustable lower control arms installed. if you do not have them, i would double check your front track bar to make sure that the mounting bolts are tighted to 125 ft lbs of torque as well. you cannot just look at or feel them by hand - you NEED to put a torque wrench on them to double check the setting.
Old 05-15-2011, 11:28 PM
JK-Forum Founder

What do they look like or what should I look for? Sorry new to jeep
they are typically shiny silver bolts that will be sitting a bit off center on top of big washers. the washers are supposed to hold everything in place in between two embossed tabs on the control arm mounts but, they rarely do a good job of this.

Quick Reply: Jeep darting across lanes....Help