Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Jeep all over the place above 50mph

Old 09-30-2016, 04:27 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jeep all over the place above 50mph

Brand new here and sorry if repeat tread. I bought a 2012 four Door jeep for my wife last week. I had a local shop install a 4" rough country lift along with 20x10" fuel rims and 35" cooper st maxx tires. They also installed dual steering stabilizers. I drove it home today a felt the the typical sway and control of a lifted vehicle but thought it was a little much above 50mph. She drove it to work tonight and freaked out because of the swaying on the road. Does it take time to get used to or should it be solid at highway speeds with a lift and bigger tires? It looks cool but I don't want her or my kids in the ditch or worse.

Last edited by wilkie; 09-30-2016 at 05:00 PM.
Old 09-30-2016, 04:38 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

install a HD Track Bar..... put a adjustable one on there. High Quality one. then air down the tires to 35psi, and see what you have.
Old 09-30-2016, 04:55 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

with that much lift if they never corrected the caster it will be really touchy and want to wander all over.
Old 09-30-2016, 05:00 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by shabbernigdo
with that much lift if they never corrected the caster it will be really touchy and want to wander all over.
True! Rough Country make a control arm drop brackets to fix that! I add them to all jeeps we do from 2.5" and up. Good call!

Part# 1106

Last edited by Morghill; 09-30-2016 at 05:04 PM.
Old 09-30-2016, 06:08 PM
JK Newbie

Here is a picture of everything they installed.. Thanks for the help so far.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	jeep parts.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	79.5 KB
ID:	657937   Click image for larger version

Name:	jeep.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	89.7 KB
ID:	657938  
Old 09-30-2016, 06:24 PM
JK Newbie

Yeah shaber is right about the caster being off. That makes the ride pretty rough. Also the fact that they installed a POS rough country lift. Sorry but most of rough country's products are garbage. If you get violent shaking then that's due to your trackbar being loose. Flighty steering sounds like the trackbars aren't adjusted properly.
Old 09-30-2016, 06:54 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

Flighty steering sounds like the trackbars aren't adjusted properly.
That is 100% incorrect. Trackbars locate the axle left to right.

All other info can be found in the sticky threads on lifts, albeit quite a read.
Old 09-30-2016, 08:10 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

All over the place? Is this just a general flighty steering? A quick jerk to one side when you hit bumps? A shimmy or wobble?

Before you start digging into the replies and run out to buy new stuff --- do you know what the components in that pic you posted actually do?

Unfortunately, you picked a low-end kit that takes a few shortcuts. Don't be shocked if you get some negative comments and end up wanting to replace an item or two.

Have you had it aligned? If so, post the specs. My guess is that the caster is low. Either the cam bolts were not adjusted correctly, or simply not installed. (take a quick look at where the front lower control arms meet the axle housing. You should see a big silver washer on each that is offset to one side, not centered like a normal washer)

Also verify that both the drop pitman + trackbar relo bracket are installed up front.

If you aren't sure what to look for, just take a few pics.
Old 10-01-2016, 04:15 AM
JK Newbie

The shop here did an alignment and they seem pretty reputable. Its not jerky. Its flighty at any speed over 50mph. Scary felling for a my wife. Here are some pics of the cam bolts.. I lowered the air pressure and will drive again today. Thinking about getting the monster teraflex trackbar just to maybe improve the low cost setup I now own..
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	bolt1.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	1.47 MB
ID:	657946   Click image for larger version

Name:	bolt2.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	1.25 MB
ID:	657947  
Old 10-01-2016, 04:16 AM
JK Newbie

Not sure why it uploaded those sideways. sorry bout that.

Quick Reply: Jeep all over the place above 50mph