Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

je reel driveshafts? a few opinions wanted

Old 05-30-2008, 04:29 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You gotta measure the pinion depth? Now I'm second guessing my desire to tackle this on my own...
Old 05-30-2008, 05:31 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I did my front DS in my driveway with:
Impact
Gear puller (free rental at most auto parts stores with returnable deposit)
torque wrench
a few other wrenches

It was simple after following another thread. I torqued everything down as recommended in the other thread and I've had zero problems.
Old 06-02-2008, 10:42 AM
JK Enthusiast

Okay, I finally pulled the trigger and ordered the 1310 HD rear driveshaft. Thx David & Northridge for the great pricing! Hopefully, the driveway install will not end in disaster

Can anyone who has purchased the JE Reel 'shafts, tell me if they come with any instructions as to what the proper torque settings are? Or does anyone know what they should be? Thx
Old 06-02-2008, 11:05 AM
JK Enthusiast

I just got my 1350's, and there was no trace of instructions - just the driveshafts and yokes. Would also like to know torque and so on...
Old 06-02-2008, 12:34 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by VBS4
I did my front DS in my driveway with:
Impact
Gear puller (free rental at most auto parts stores with returnable deposit)
torque wrench
a few other wrenches

It was simple after following another thread. I torqued everything down as recommended in the other thread and I've had zero problems.

Could you please point us in the rigth direction as to how to find this thread?
Old 06-02-2008, 01:57 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jeeperjk
Could you please point us in the rigth direction as to how to find this thread?
I'd be happy to

Here you go:

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-write-ups-39/installing-je-reel-1350-rear-driveshaft-28160/

In all honesty, myself and others (ex: piginajeep according to his posts) have tightened the pinion nut down and called it a day.

I torqued mine to 160 ft lbs like post #11 said and that was it. I didn't want to take the chance on damaging the crush washer.
It's been well over a couple thousand miles (street and off-roading) and all is great.
Old 06-05-2008, 07:44 AM
JK Enthusiast

Bump....try to get closer to top so I can find it easily for this weekend's install...

Also, I know this is a dumb question, but has anybody had trouble getting the shaft in once the yokes are put on? How easy is it to compress or stretch it to get it to fit?
Old 06-05-2008, 08:01 AM
JK Jedi Master

Originally Posted by VBS4
I'd be happy to

Here you go:

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28160

In all honesty, myself and others (ex: piginajeep according to his posts) have tightened the pinion nut down and called it a day.

I torqued mine to 160 ft lbs like post #11 said and that was it. I didn't want to take the chance on damaging the crush washer.
It's been well over a couple thousand miles (street and off-roading) and all is great.
Yup, I didnt know any better at the time. I just used a wrench, and torqued it down. Same with all the other bolts, I did use locktight on the all the bolts. I'm pushing 20,000 miles on the shafts with no issues.

I have have pictures of the full install in my photo albums.

Quick Reply: je reel driveshafts? a few opinions wanted