Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

JE REEL Direct replacement Driveshaft (rear)

Old 04-24-2009, 12:31 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default JE REEL Direct replacement Driveshaft (rear)

So I was going to go with Tom Woods rear driveshaft but I was going to have to pay my Jeep tech to install the yokes.
I was reading the new issue of JP and saw they used a JE REEL direct bolt in replacement U-jointed/double-cardaan rear driveshaft that just bolts to the factory yokes.
Would I be good using this? Keeping in mind that my wheeling is mostly Ontario Canada trails...not serious rock-crawling or mud bogging?
Old 04-24-2009, 01:17 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by officer_vince
So I was going to go with Tom Woods rear driveshaft but I was going to have to pay my Jeep tech to install the yokes.
I was reading the new issue of JP and saw they used a JE REEL direct bolt in replacement U-jointed/double-cardaan rear driveshaft that just bolts to the factory yokes.
Would I be good using this? Keeping in mind that my wheeling is mostly Ontario Canada trails...not serious rock-crawling or mud bogging?
There was a thread where a forum member did use a replacement DS JE Reel and had vibration issues. After investigating (with JE Reel) it comes that due to the OE flange, the cardan and CV where to far off the flange and this was causing vibration (along with the pinion angle). So I'm suspecting this is not the best solution it might be better to replace the OE flange with 1310 yokes. BTW this is not a big deal I never did that before on any rig, it takes times (if you do it for the first time), all that you need is sockets for the nut, a puller, a torque wrench, a breaker bar and strength (the nuts are tight).
Old 04-24-2009, 05:38 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

i am running the Reel 1350 direct bolt on shaft in the rear now and don't have any problems what so ever. however, i was running a front shaft as well and what Chris_CH said is all true - it basically doesn't work all that well. if you are looking for a good bolt on setup for up front, i would go with a coast shaft as it comes with adapters and works very well - i am running a 1350 one now and don't have any problems.
Old 04-24-2009, 02:14 PM
JK Enthusiast

Neg, front is all good as I run a manual tranny...it's the rear and I was looking to save a few $$$ by going with the JE REEL bolt in but if that is the case then I'll run the Tom Woods with new yokes.
Old 04-25-2009, 10:54 AM
JK Super Freak

Doesn't the je reel come as either a 1310 cv or use the original flange, there's also the 1350 version. I know there's three different je reels available. Which ones are bad? I think I have the 1310 that replaced the stock flange.
Old 04-25-2009, 12:38 PM
JK Newbie

Mr. Reel was at Moab (Jim I think was his name). Real nice guy, just call him and get his suggestion (would probably be better than asking on here and trying to figure out which of us to believe). He was very easy to talk to, clearly very knowledgable. I've had both his shafts on my 2 dr 08 and had him come outside and just take a look and he was more than happy to do so. Said it all looked great. And yes they have 3 set-ups for JK's. I think I have the middle option.

Quick Reply: JE REEL Direct replacement Driveshaft (rear)