Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

JCR Crusader "boat" side sliders

Old 09-25-2015 | 07:06 PM
JK Newbie

Default JCR Crusader "boat" side sliders

Looking at the JCR Crusader boat side style. I think they are fairly new as opposed to the previous version with a tube ext/step. They also have integrated rock lights. Anyone have them?

My concern is the mounting style. I am not considering at all styles like the ACE that only mount to body bolts and pinch seam. Styles like these that are body armour as well seem to be popular at least on the highways here on the JKs that look offroad capable. My parts source also uses a style like this (Crawler Concept) and loves them. I am a little concerned that a good it transfers energy to the body but the videos on JCRs web show severe hits. the other reason I am looking to these is my JK is not in the sky, its 2" lift with 34"s so the extra clearance gained could be a plus.

Its either this or Shrockworks cause of the frame mount.
Old 09-26-2015 | 03:09 AM
JK Junkie

Saw these too but FucGoDm they are pricey.

Like the brawlers from psc too, but 900 bones is a pile of cash.

The lights are interesting but I'm not into it too much. If I keep working ot like I have been I might give em a roll. I like buying stuff no one else has, that I see driving around town, anyways.

New stuff a on the jk market always gets my attention.
Old 09-26-2015 | 03:10 AM
JK Junkie

And I do like the shrockworks as well, good price, solid build.

More worried about the wait, if any.
Old 09-26-2015 | 04:48 AM
JK Junkie

Frame mount is the only way to ensure you won't get body damage. I've seen too many instances of boat sides causing damage. It usually deforms the body where the hit is. Common outcome is not being able to open the door.

There are a ton of great frame mount sliders out now, VKS Fab has two versions, LoD (my fav), PSC, etc.

This is from the weekend. You can speed to the 30 second mark. 6ft drop and the LoD saved the day. I'd have been screwed with a boat side. I've absolutely abused these sliders and they have been flawless. http://youtu.be/Dgn6Xfiurog
Old 09-26-2015 | 12:23 PM
JK Junkie

This link should work. Two more recent examples of boat side slider damage. See last two posts in the thread. http://www.jkowners.com/forum/showth...237050?page=23
Old 09-26-2015 | 01:06 PM
JK Super Freak
Veteran: Air Force

That's some pretty extreme video. There is nothing on the market that will protect your Jeep in all circumstances. I think coming down they way you did is probably pretty rare.

I have the old style Classic sliders that mount to the body mounts and the Rubi-rail hols in the pinch seam. I have slammed these on rocks, to the point I dented the tube, with absolutely zero damage to the Jeep. Had these been ACE style sliders that only mount to the body mounts, I would have been screwed.

Frame mounts are the best, as long as the welds are done right and strong. But I still think an attachment to the pinch seam adds a layer of protection. I am not sure of anyone who makes weld on, bolt on style sliders.

I've seen folks wheel with the Poison Spider and the Nemesis version of boat-side sliders and they are awesome.
Old 09-26-2015 | 02:12 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by ShutterBug
That's some pretty extreme video. There is nothing on the market that will protect your Jeep in all circumstances. I think coming down they way you did is probably pretty rare.
I don't think hits like that are rare if you are in the rocks.

I am not sure of anyone who makes weld on, bolt on style sliders.
Poison Spyder has frame mount version of their Rocker Knocker that bolts on.

Is that what you are asking?
Old 09-26-2015 | 04:30 PM
JK Enthusiast

I have the Crawler Conceptz which are similar to JCR's boat sides and PSC's. $630 from Marcus at River City. They are very nice.
Old 09-27-2015 | 08:29 AM
JK Junkie

That's some pretty extreme video. There is nothing on the market that will protect your Jeep in all circumstances. I think coming down they way you did is probably pretty rare. I have the old style Classic sliders that mount to the body mounts and the Rubi-rail hols in the pinch seam. I have slammed these on rocks, to the point I dented the tube, with absolutely zero damage to the Jeep. Had these been ACE style sliders that only mount to the body mounts, I would have been screwed. Frame mounts are the best, as long as the welds are done right and strong. But I still think an attachment to the pinch seam adds a layer of protection. I am not sure of anyone who makes weld on, bolt on style sliders. I've seen folks wheel with the Poison Spider and the Nemesis version of boat-side sliders and they are awesome.
Aren't we wheeling together next weekend?! You better get some frame mount sliders before you pull in behind me on the trail

I'd say that in the year and a half I've had those sliders, I've had at least 20 hits harder than what you saw in that video. You know you hit hard when you are denting .188 wall DOM tube. Haha.

I'm not saying you can't get by with the boat side, but I'll tell you that the day you bend your b-pillar, will be a miserable one. That is not an easy fix. Sliders are the one item where I see only one option.
Old 09-27-2015 | 06:10 PM
JK Super Freak
Veteran: Air Force

Originally Posted by tcdawg
I don't think hits like that are rare if you are in the rocks.

Poison Spyder has frame mount version of their Rocker Knocker that bolts on.

Is that what you are asking?
What I meant was the way the jeep came down off camber into a rock. Yes, I agree, it can happen, but I would say the vast majority of us don't wheel that extreme. I'd love to, but I have to drive to work in the morning.

What I meant was, sliders that welded on the frame, but still bolted to the pinch seam. I think without that third leg of the triangle, per se, you're not going to be rigid enough for down forces.

Quick Reply: JCR Crusader "boat" side sliders