Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

JCR bumper/fairlead question

Old 09-29-2012, 12:44 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Default JCR bumper/fairlead question

I had my winch spooled out today and noticed something that could be a problem. I have a JCR dagger series bumper and a Milemarker winch with synthetic rope. The way the fairlead mounts to the bumper, part of the bumper protrudes into the opening of the fairlead...meaning if I were winching with the Jeep below my anchor point the rope would be rubbing on steel. That can't be good. Has anyone else noticed this with their JCR/winch combo??
Old 10-02-2012, 03:12 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is the first we have heard of this issue. Is the fairlead made by Milemarker? We've designed our fairlead hole to work with any fairlead (roller, steel hawse and aluminum) that we've ever had our hands on. But that doesn't mean that there are ones out there that don't work correctly with our bumper. The best thing to do would be to get us some pictures. You can email it to us at info@jcroffroad.com and we can help get this figured out.

This is the exact fairlead we used for prototyping (and double checked it with Warn's, Superwinch, and Ramsey)
Smittybilt 2809 Universal Aluminum Hawse Fairlead : Amazon.com : Automotive

You DO NOT want your rope or cable rubbing on any medal edges.
Old 10-02-2012, 04:24 AM
JK Super Freak

Thanks for the response. Yes, I have the aluminum fairlead that came with my Milemarker SEC8 Scout..black anodized that I've since painted. I'll get some pics up as soon as I can. I appreciate your concern, maybe I can help make an already great product better!
Old 10-02-2012, 05:57 AM
JK Freak

I have no issues with my JCR/Recon setup(Also synthetic.) I may have an extra alloy fairlead laying around if that happens to be your issue.
Same as pictured below
Old 10-03-2012, 04:25 AM
JK Super Freak

Default pics

Here is my problem..
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	jeep 005.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	65.8 KB
ID:	373755   Click image for larger version

Name:	jeep 006.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	17.4 KB
ID:	373756  
Old 10-03-2012, 04:32 AM
JK Super Freak

Now that I've had a chance to look at it this morning, it looks like I can flip it "upside down" and make it work...even though the way I have it mounted is the way it was intended to be mounted with the Milemarker name on top. Not a big deal, the mounting holes on this particular fairlead just aren't centered top to bottom like most others.
Old 10-03-2012, 04:38 AM
JK Super Freak

Heres a better pic to see how the mounting holes in this fairlead are "low" instead of centered...just something for those looking to run this combo to look out for.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	jeep 033.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	95.8 KB
ID:	373767  
Old 10-06-2012, 04:46 PM
JK Super Freak

My bumper and fairlead are definitely not compatible. I tried to flip it over and all that does is make the part of the bumper that intrudes, intrude from the bottom instead of up top. The holes in the fairlead aren't centered and thats what I need.

Hey ttechris..do you have that fairlead lying around? Would you want to part with it? Thanks
Old 10-06-2012, 05:13 PM
JK Freak

Sure just pm me the address and I'll send it to you. You can PayPal me the shipping cost once I send it.
Old 10-10-2012, 03:30 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Originally Posted by lowendrider
Here is my problem..
Man, what the heck! I don't understand why they made their fairlead this way. This is going to be a problem with 90% of the bumpers on the market!

Defiantly not going to work. For anyone that has this combo in the future, we'll have to add this to our site!

Quick Reply: JCR bumper/fairlead question