Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

jacking up using hi-lift

Old 07-13-2013, 09:56 AM
MFX
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default jacking up using hi-lift

Would it be solid enough to jack up the jeep using a shackle mounted on an aftermarket bumper tab
Old 07-13-2013, 10:09 AM
JK Junkie

There is the potential for the jack to move and the entire vehicle to shift. It can be done, but it would be a last resort for me.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
Old 07-13-2013, 10:21 AM
JK Jedi

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Same here.... It's a last ditch effort.... They're very dangerous. U have to be careful while using
Old 07-13-2013, 10:29 AM
JK Enthusiast

I have done it, but I would agree with previous posts. It wasn't that stable!
Old 07-13-2013, 11:19 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MFX
Would it be solid enough to jack up the jeep using a shackle mounted on an aftermarket bumper tab

It should be solid enough.

Hi-Lifts aren't very useful and they are dangerous. I wish i didn't buy one. A scissor jack under the axle is probably best. A bottle jack modified with a an angle iron in a "V" on the top may be more useful.
I jacked up my Jeep by the slider with a Hi-Lift to test out my welds. That was the only use. It can also be used as a poor-mans winch.
Old 07-13-2013, 11:30 AM
JK Forum Regional Rep

It's strong enough.Used ours a number of times to jack up our rig from flat surfaces to off camber hillsides without any problems.Makes a great winch too
Old 07-13-2013, 12:17 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MFX
You have a picture of this tab?

And it's a good idea to get familiar with it as much a possible. I use Hi-Lift (on bumper) to put the jeep on jack stands when I rotate my tires. PS: I keep my on my Jeep, so it gets rusty/stuck if I don't....
Old 07-13-2013, 12:52 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You'd be better off with a bottle jack under the axle if you're goal is to get on jack stands. You'll have to lift extra to compensate for suspension.

I bought my hi lift pretty much to pull me along if the winch breaks or if I get stuck and have to pull out backward (no winch in the back). Actually lifting the jeep to change a tire is the bottom of my list unless it's the only way...
Old 07-13-2013, 02:44 PM
JK Jedi

Received 107 Likes on 104 Posts

They work good to lift a tire up to stack something underneath the tire for traction. For changing a tire you for sure would want to make sure the jeep was stable and would not move. either way you need a strap wrapped around to keep the suspension from sagging otherwise you will have to really lift the vehicle to get a tire off the ground.

Quick Reply: jacking up using hi-lift