Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Ive searched and read and still cant find my answer

Old 02-27-2014, 03:01 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ive searched and read and still cant find my answer

Ive read and read and read and read on these forums, and nowhere does anyone say that it does or does not void your warranty if you use a programmer. Some people say it does even if you revert it back to stock because it leaves a ghost image. Then some people say it doesn't, and I paid extra money for my extended warranty on my wrangler and I don't want to piss it down the drain with a tuner. Someone please help. thanks in advance
Old 02-27-2014, 03:47 PM
JK Super Freak

What does and doesn't is completely up to each dealer. I'm running the super chips now and have been to my dealer several times for warranty work. Each I put it back to stock and they have never said anything. The way warranty work, assuming you need it was explained to me was that over a certain dollar total an insurance adjuster has to physically inspect the vehicle. As for them looking to see if you reprogrammed your motor is one in a million. They would only do that, assuming they're smart enough or they knew you programmed it was if you blew up your motor from abuse. Again one in million. When i asked my dealer what their opinion on modifying mine was, they said "it's a jeep, we expect people to do that!".
Old 02-27-2014, 07:14 PM
JK Freak

Don't know if this is true or not but I've read that to legally void a warranty they have to prove that the fault whatever it may be was caused by the mod. I personally think voiding a warranty for a tuner is ridiculous. Especially knowing many jeeps get lifted with bigger tires and a tuner needs to be done.

Again, I've never asked for sure and it could be dealer to dealer but I have read that before.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 3 while crawling over mini trucks.
Old 02-27-2014, 07:37 PM
Forum Tech Advisor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

My warranty booklet in my glove box was pretty clear.

Essentially, factory parts that fail because of the installation or use of aftermarket parts won't be covered by the factory warranty.

What factory parts do you believe could be damaged or fail due to running a moderate tune?

How often do you take your jeep to the dealer to have the computer reflashed?

Old 03-01-2014, 01:54 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by baltimorejk13
Ive read and read and read and read on these forums, and nowhere does anyone say that it does or does not void your warranty if you use a programmer. Some people say it does even if you revert it back to stock because it leaves a ghost image. Then some people say it doesn't, and I paid extra money for my extended warranty on my wrangler and I don't want to piss it down the drain with a tuner. Someone please help. thanks in advance
you can do what i did and go back to the dealship and cancel the warrantee. They gave me a full cash refund (because it didnt start yet i was still under the manufacturers warrantee) but the catch was that if you owe on it you have to put the money down on the car note, witch IMO wasnt bad because it took 2000 off the top of what i owe
Old 03-01-2014, 02:07 PM
-

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default The Unwarranted

Magnuson

Thou one side note here.. if your driving a "new" jeep that still is under warranty.. best stick to the guild lines as posted above.. otherwise.. Like with us.. free will.
Old 03-01-2014, 02:44 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Technically a programmer will void the warranty if discovered. Reason being is the ECM (Engine Control Module) is technically part of the emission system due to the fact that it controls fuel trim and timing. Plus it is covered under the Emissions Warranty mandated by the Fed Gov. The possibility of being discovered is very slim unless the dealer specifically looks for it.
Old 03-01-2014, 04:41 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My dealer knows i have one and not a problem. they are a aev dealer as well as they have a programmer in them sitting on the lot.
Old 03-01-2014, 05:04 PM
JK Freak

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 4x4Laoch
Technically a programmer will void the warranty if discovered......The possibility of being discovered is very slim unless the dealer specifically looks for it.
Originally Posted by blue project
....When i asked my dealer what their opinion on modifying mine was, they said "it's a jeep, we expect people to do that!".

Quick Reply: Ive searched and read and still cant find my answer