Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

I've got a hot wheel

Old 08-13-2016, 04:40 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I've got a hot wheel

Well, just got home and smelled a burning or hot smell. Put my hand down on my right wheel and it was HOT!! Went to the left side and I it was cool to the touch. I guess I have a stuck caliper. It's dark so I will check tomorrow. Anybody ever had this issue?
Old 08-13-2016, 04:46 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

Do you have any smoke or burnt fluid smell? A wasted axle shaft seal will also make the wheel very hot and you'll likely have smoke/ fluid leaking.
Old 08-13-2016, 04:48 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No smoke and I didn't see any fluid coming out of the axle tube. The axle was cool to the touch. The rotor was radiating heat.

I will check in the morning for sure!!
Old 08-13-2016, 04:50 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 63 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by scooby snacks
Well, just got home and smelled a burning or hot smell. Put my hand down on my right wheel and it was HOT!! Went to the left side and I it was cool to the touch. I guess I have a stuck caliper. It's dark so I will check tomorrow. Anybody ever had this issue?
My rear driver's side hung about a year ago. Replaced the caliper and pads with one I picked up at O'reilly's.

9 months later I could feel it dragging for about a week and then it locked up good. Wheel hot to the touch, pads smoking, rotor turned blue and warped. Replaced with a new MOPAR caliper and rotor, also replaced the lines with some Teraflex stainless lines. Added EBC yellow stuff pads.

After doing it twice I can tell you it isn't very difficult, and I highly recommend ordering the MOPAR caliper through Quadratec, as it was only about $15 more than the junky rebuilt one I got at O'reilly's. If you can wait for it to come in.

Probably could of gotten my rotor turned, but I just opted for the new one because I was frustrated.

The caliper I got from O'reilly's was covered in surface rust before the first week was up, and only lasted 9 months. Can not recommend going that route.

Sent from my iPhone using JK-Forum
Old 08-14-2016, 04:56 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 362 Likes on 270 Posts

I had a caliper pin so badly corroded it hung up the brake, making the wheel hot. O'Reilly had new pin set. Inexpensive part and easy replacement. Make sure to pick up caliper pin grease, too, if that is your problem.
Old 08-14-2016, 05:56 AM
Super Moderator

Received 209 Likes on 183 Posts

I had where the inner pad on my R/F wheel had worn abnormally more than the other sides pad. So when I inspected the pads from the outside, I new I was due for a new set but they didn't look too bad. The inner pad wore so much that it popped out from between the rotor and caliper. Following that, the caliper piston pushed too far out when applying the brake and brake fluid came oozing out all over the tire and then no brakes.

I guess it's possible you could have a similar experience and your pad could have gotten jammed instead of falling out like mine.

The funny thing about my experience was that I knew I was due for new pads, and decided to get the Mopar BBK instead. The day I ordered the BBK, the following day is when I experienced the caliper piston pushed out, leaving me with no brakes. So I had to wait 5 days for the Mopar kit to arrive, since it seemed like a waste at that point to purchase stock replacements when I had a complete new brake system on the way and already paid for.

Last edited by Rednroll; 08-14-2016 at 06:01 AM.
Old 08-15-2016, 05:44 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by tjkamp
My rear driver's side hung about a year ago. Replaced the caliper and pads with one I picked up at O'reilly's.

9 months later I could feel it dragging for about a week and then it locked up good. Wheel hot to the touch, pads smoking, rotor turned blue and warped. Replaced with a new MOPAR caliper and rotor, also replaced the lines with some Teraflex stainless lines. Added EBC yellow stuff pads.

After doing it twice I can tell you it isn't very difficult, and I highly recommend ordering the MOPAR caliper through Quadratec, as it was only about $15 more than the junky rebuilt one I got at O'reilly's. If you can wait for it to come in.

Probably could of gotten my rotor turned, but I just opted for the new one because I was frustrated.

The caliper I got from O'reilly's was covered in surface rust before the first week was up, and only lasted 9 months. Can not recommend going that route.

I can relate. My previous '08 JKU also had the rear driver's side issues. After all was said and done, I had gone through three calipers, two rotors, three sets of pads, a new set of lines. Even two different shops couldn't figure out what the root cause was.
Old 08-15-2016, 06:06 AM
Super Moderator

Received 209 Likes on 183 Posts

Originally Posted by warpeg
I can relate. My previous '08 JKU also had the rear driver's side issues. After all was said and done, I had gone through three calipers, two rotors, three sets of pads, a new set of lines. Even two different shops couldn't figure out what the root cause was.
My 1st guess at that would have been to replace the wheel speed sensor, since it's the signal from the speed sensor that controls the rear braking for the traction control.
Old 08-15-2016, 06:17 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 63 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Rednroll
My 1st guess at that would have been to replace the wheel speed sensor, since it's the signal from the speed sensor that controls the rear braking for the traction control.
I forgot to mention that I also replaced the wheel speed sensor. It was the only one left that I hadn't replaced yet.

Old 08-15-2016, 07:09 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by warpeg
Interesting, a couple weeks ago I replaced pads/rotors in the rear of my 07 JKU, just before I left to go on an off-roading trip. A day later I was experiencing the same type of hang up in my rear drivers side. I didn't have much time to problem solve so I replaced both the caliper and brake hose. I'll never know which one was the problem but everything has been fine since.

Last edited by bman; 08-15-2016 at 07:12 AM.

Quick Reply: I've got a hot wheel