Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

I've been a member since '07 and finally have my own JK! What would you do with $1K?

Old 04-10-2011, 06:12 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I've been a member since '07 and finally have my own JK! What would you do with $1K?

As a member of JK-Forum since '07 (yet still a 'newbie' haha) I'm excited to say I finally have my own auto 2009 Deep Water Blue JK unlimited with only 15,000km on it!

I have come across most mods and upgrades available on the forum but I would like to leverage the community of JK'rs and ask...What now!? I'm kind of obsessed with upgrades...what would be the best to do in my situation cosmetically and performance-wise?

Here are some of the things I've been thinking about myself...any feedback?

Lift, Tires & Wheels
I'm fortunate enough to say I love the performance of the JK stock. Although I really love the look of a lift and larger tires, the stock height and Goodyear Silent Armors are working out great for me on the big dunes (I'm in the Middle East). Would spacers at least give a noticeable wider stance appearance? Any recommended upgrades in this area to give an aggressive appearance while keeping the jeep nice and low for dunes? Any significant performance upgrades?

Front Bumper
My current bumper is a really ugly massive plastic Euro JK version - at least if I had the US version I could create a stubby...it's not possible with this one. With my stock height, what aftermarket front bumper would look good? I don't need a winch or anything so I was thinking about the Smittybuilt classic, but would it look proper on a stock height ride or would it look too big?

Flashpaq
It's always nice to have more power and I've read great things about the flashpaq. I don't have a ton of money for upgrades and the Jeep has a 5 year extended warranty so I feel like this one may be the best bang for the buck right now without voiding it - thoughts?

Headlights/lighting
The dessert is mighty dark. What are the best headlight upgrades? Are HID's worth it or should I just upgrade the bulbs? What about some offroad lights?

I could probably go on and on! All in all, what would you veterans say to do if you had $1000 to throw into your brand new rig?

Cheers!
Old 04-10-2011, 06:19 AM
JK Enthusiast

Congrats!
Let's see some pics!
Old 04-10-2011, 06:28 AM
JK Freak

Congrats!!! I have the IPF H4
Conversion and just installed an HID kit from DDM tuning and I must say there is a world of difference. If you want bright lights that's the way to go. I know you can get the kit for your factory lights as well but I'm not sure what kind of beam the stock lens will give ya. Either way I think it's worth while!
Old 04-10-2011, 06:54 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default Pic as requested!

Old 04-10-2011, 08:49 AM
JK Enthusiast

If your in that much sand regularly, I'd go with tire deflators and a GOOD air compressor. Enjoy!
Old 04-10-2011, 09:10 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congratulations on the Jeep! Playing in the sand is fun!

If you don't want the Euro bumper, and don't want to go overboard on a big expensive winch bumper, may I suggest the PureJeep crawler? Just Google that and you will find it. I don't have it but they have one without winch holes, and it looks understated and fairly light.

I'm not sure if it's legal in Quatar but I figure, if you know anyone in the Royal family, you'll be fine
Old 04-10-2011, 09:43 AM
JK Freak

My suggestions

Teraflex coil spring leveling kit
https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...e-Leveling-Kit

There are tons of bumper options, it just comes down to what you want in a bumper. If you want a very basic bumper, it's hard to beat the price of the Pavement Ends bumper:
http://www.quadratec.com/products/12054_1402_07.htm

And there are several ProComp wheels available in a 17" size to push your tires out
http://www.quadratec.com/products/pr...y+Wheels&c=135

That will put you a little over $1000 before shipping.
Old 04-10-2011, 01:09 PM
JK Newbie

NICE! congrats and welcome!
Old 04-10-2011, 01:24 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Welcome.. That was a big a$$ dune... Where in the middle east are you wheelin....
Old 04-10-2011, 09:27 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks for the great feedback everyone!

I'm wheeling in Qatar (small country in the Gulf). It's really amazing out here and a ton of fun.

@karls10 - speaking of lightweight bumpers, has anyone got any experience with the Iceland offroad fiberglass ones?

Also, what is the benefit of a leveling kit?

Quick Reply: I've been a member since '07 and finally have my own JK! What would you do with $1K?