Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

It's new drive shaft time

Old 06-06-2011, 04:18 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default It's new drive shaft time

the rzeppa joint on my front drive shaft is finally starting to spit grease everywhere, so I guess I'm going to be getting a new drive shaft in the next couple of weeks. The part I'm not certain about is: I want to swap my front axle for a d60 in about 2 years, so I would like my new ds to work for both my current setup (d30 w/ 4" lift) and my future setup (d60 w/ 4" lift). Do I need to get a different length ds to fit both properly or would it be best to just buy a 1310 ds and use it till I get my d60? Oh, and I'm looking at either 1330 or 1350 joints if I can reuse this ds after I do my axle swap.
Old 06-06-2011, 04:23 PM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Curiosity
the rzeppa joint on my front drive shaft is finally starting to spit grease everywhere, so I guess I'm going to be getting a new drive shaft in the next couple of weeks. The part I'm not certain about is: I want to swap my front axle for a d60 in about 2 years, so I would like my new ds to work for both my current setup (d30 w/ 4" lift) and my future setup (d60 w/ 4" lift). Do I need to get a different length ds to fit both properly or would it be best to just buy a 1310 ds and use it till I get my d60? Oh, and I'm looking at either 1330 or 1350 joints if I can reuse this ds after I do my axle swap.
Just get a 1350 shaft and then, when you get your 60, you can have it cut down and rebuilt to fit your 60. as always, be sure to get your shaft with spicer u-joints - don't settle for the cheap chinese crap that the popular brands come standard with.
Old 06-06-2011, 04:28 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by wayoflife
Just get a 1350 shaft and then, when you get your 60, you can have it cut down and rebuilt to fit your 60. as always, be sure to get your shaft with spicer u-joints - don't settle for the cheap chinese crap that the popular brands come standard with.
Thats the info I was looking for... I haven't done any measurements yet, but can you recommend a certain length ds for 4" lift?
Old 06-06-2011, 04:33 PM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Curiosity
Thats the info I was looking for... I haven't done any measurements yet, but can you recommend a certain length ds for 4" lift?
contrary to the great sales pitching some companies have been putting out there suggesting that you need to measure your driveshaft length before ordering one, any off the shelf 1350 JK shaft will work with a 4" lift. they have more than enough travel and you will not have any problems. once you install a 60, your shaft will need to be shorter and you will need to take a measurement at that time so that you can get it to fit properly.

Quick Reply: It's new drive shaft time