Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Issues Towing

Old 01-18-2016, 06:08 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Issues Towing

So I have an Unlimited X. Only thing to this point that I have done is swap out the front and rear bumpers, and changed the tires to 33s. With that said I bought a pop up camper for the family for a steal. It weighs in at about 995 lbs per the specs. So after buying it I went out and bought a hitch with and adjustable bar. I installed it (now my orfab rear bumper doesn't fit and will need to be trimmed slightly) and went and picked up the camper. Well after getting out of the neighborhood I came to a stop light. When it turned green, I took a left turn. As I was turning left and accelerating there was a pretty loud pop like noise and after completing the turn the engine seemed to struggle as it shifted to 2nd and third. Thankfully I didn't have to go far but it did happen again when making a right hand turn into my neighborhood.

So now I'm a little concerned with not being able to tow this camper. I have never towed anything with this jeep before. Any suggestions etc? It sounds like perhaps the transmission is slipping but I have no idea. Just concerned that I'm going to cause some damage although this is well within the limits of what I should be able to tow.
Old 01-18-2016, 06:15 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 170 Likes on 145 Posts

What year, gears, and transmission do you have?

Describe the pop noise a little more.
Was it a backfire? Or more like some slack came out of the draw bar?
Are the coupler and ball sizes matched?

Last edited by ronjenx; 01-18-2016 at 06:20 AM.
Old 01-18-2016, 06:34 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by ronjenx
What year, gears, and transmission do you have?

Describe the pop noise a little more.
Was it a backfire? Or more like some slack came out of the draw bar?
Are the coupler and ball sizes matched?
Sorry should have provided that info. Its a 2010, auto and if I remember it is 3.73. It wasn't really a pop I guess more like a thunk. To me and my wife, it seems instantly that it came from the engine bay and it was really struggling to pick up speed (think of a manual after you switch into a higher gear but not giving it enough gas). Definitely not a backfire and the coupler and ball size are both 2. I don't think it was the draw bar in regards to the piece that actually slides into the hitch as that is pretty firm and not a ton of give. There is more give with the adjustable portion of the draw bar. It is possible it was that but when we heard the noise I was pretty certain it was coming from the front of the jeep.

My wife later last night then said oh it was probable just the draw bar but I think she was just saying that more as wishful thinking cus as soon as we heard the noise and we both looked at each other and said some thing in the front was going on. I plan on taking it tonight and drive around the neighborhood to see if it happens again and try and isolate it. On a side note I am planning on bringing the jeep to a shop because my tires have been wearing uneven and am getting a wobble right at 50 mph but then after speeding up above that it goes away. Think that is just a tire balancing issues.
Old 01-18-2016, 06:38 AM
JK Newbie

This is the draw bar I am using:

Reese Towpower 7-1/2 in. Adjustable Utility Draw Bar-7031300 - The Home Depot
Old 01-18-2016, 06:44 AM
JK Enthusiast

I don't have a ton of experience towing, but if something is popping in the trailer, its crazy how the sound can travel though the drawbar and into the hitch and frame and sound like something is making noise somewhere else. did you add air to the rear tires at least to help offset the added weight from the trailer? that could be adding to the jeep feeling sluggish. HTH
Old 01-18-2016, 06:48 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Grimmjpr
I don't have a ton of experience towing, but if something is popping in the trailer, its crazy how the sound can travel though the drawbar and into the hitch and frame and sound like something is making noise somewhere else. did you add air to the rear tires at least to help offset the added weight from the trailer? that could be adding to the jeep feeling sluggish. HTH
No we didn't add air but I should. Think tires are a little low air wise and need to just be topped off. In your first comment, that is the reason why I plan on taking it out tonight and driving it around the neighborhood but it really seemed like the source was the engine bay, almost specifically on the passenger side. At first I was thinking suspension but I don't think that would have been the issue.
Old 01-18-2016, 07:40 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 170 Likes on 145 Posts

I put some shims in my adjustable draw bar to quiet the thuds.

The 42RLE with 3.73 and larger tires will struggle. It's not a good combination for towing.
I have stock Rubi tires with 4.10 gears, and the 42RLE hates hills when towing, even with O/D off.
Old 01-18-2016, 08:06 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by ronjenx
I put some shims in my adjustable draw bar to quiet the thuds.

The 42RLE with 3.73 and larger tires will struggle. It's not a good combination for towing.
I have stock Rubi tires with 4.10 gears, and the 42RLE hates hills when towing, even with O/D off.
Yh I didn't expect it to be nice and easy towing 1,000 lbs but the thunk I heard is concerning me. Upon first hearing it my first though was it the transmission, second was maybe the suspension in the front. Now I am a little nervous to tow it. But I will tow it around tonight listening for the noise.

Also note I did not have the O/D off. But I was under the impression that would only help once at highway speeds correct?
Old 01-18-2016, 08:22 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

Are your track bars nice and tight? I've pulled more weight with my 2dr and it's been pretty quiet except the bar moving around. Welding will fix that for me in place of shims that Ron is using.
Old 01-18-2016, 08:25 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by karls10jk
Are your track bars nice and tight? I've pulled more weight with my 2dr and it's been pretty quiet except the bar moving around. Welding will fix that for me in place of shims that Ron is using.
I would assume so. Never messed with them but I will check them out tonight. I would assume I would be hearing noise if they were lose even during normal driving which isn't the case.

Quick Reply: Issues Towing