Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Issues with ABS and steering after AEV DualSport lift install

Old 06-02-2015, 05:59 PM
JK Freak

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Issues with ABS and steering after AEV DualSport lift install

I've been quite happy with my AEV 3.5" lift but I've noticed some strangeness with the ABS and had once incident with the steering that has me slightly unnerved...

I've noticed that the ABS system will activate unnecessarily sometimes. It seems to happen most often at the end of a stop when also turning the steering wheel. I never encountered an issue before the lift and none of the speed sensor wires were damaged or displaced.

As for the steering, I hit a bump today at moderate speed (~45MPH) and got a major wobble until I slowed down. Never had a wobble before and I've been running 35" tires for years. I have the AEV high steer kit and geometry relocation brackets.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!
Old 06-02-2015, 06:14 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Stuck to the top of the Writeups area is a good diagnosis thread for deathwobble/shimmy. Go through it a few times and check all of the components. Torque, looseness, bad rod ends, it goes through all of it.

For the abs light, could be a faulty sensor. Or a steering wheel that isn't perfectly centered. Or just from having the lift. If you can't track it down, there is a procedure to turn the system off.
Old 06-02-2015, 07:25 PM
JK Freak

Yep, gone through the death wobble thread. Everything seems to check out. That's the concern.

As for the ABS, it's not throwing the ABS light or a code... the ABS is activating when it shouldn't. Disabling it is not an option.

So...
Old 06-04-2015, 12:57 AM
JK Junkie

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Did you re calibrate for your 35s? is your steering wheel perfectly centered? If everything checks out on the suspension side of things, IT could be a steering alignment and tire size issue that's causing the ABS to trip and also cause your wobble as the brakes are trying to correct whats "not" going on.
Old 06-04-2015, 01:09 AM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How much PSI are you running in your tires?
Old 06-04-2015, 05:34 PM
JK Super Freak

Did you swap your control arm bolts to the grade 8 kit from Northridge? They are the wrong size from the factory and can certainly cause steering problems. I have the 2.5 lift with drop brackets and no issues. I also upgraded my stabilizer to the fox ats and that made a big difference due the increased weight of my wheels and tires over stock.
Old 06-08-2015, 06:25 PM
JK Freak

Sorry for the delay. Didn't get new post notifications for some reason.

The steering wheel is centered. I've been running the same make and model of 35" tire for about four years with no issues. The computer is calibrated for the tire size. I run 32 PSI up front and 35 PSI in back.

I'm running the stock bolts. Like I said, I've had no issues until I installed the lift. I looked everything over during the lift install and there were no signs of wear from play in the stock suspension bolts.

Thanks!
Old 06-08-2015, 09:25 PM
JK Enthusiast

Call AEV customer service. They will help you figure it out.
248-926-0256
Old 06-09-2015, 02:01 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Your Procal has a function to recenter the steering in the computer. Even though your wheel is centered, the computer doesn't think it is. That is most likely your ABS issue.

As for the wobble, it could be caster or loose bolts. I assume you have the geo correction brackets? What hole do you have them set on? Also, did you re-tighten all of the control arm bolts with the Jeep on the ground? Second, go back through with a quality torque wrench and confirm all bolts are at 125 ft lbs (except the front uppers, which are 75 ft lbs).
Old 06-09-2015, 09:29 AM
JK Freak

One more thing....

When the lift was installed, if the control arm bolts were tightened while the Jeep was still on the rack/jack there tends to be pent up tension in the bushings. Try loosening all control arms and track bars. Then, while the Jeep is setting with full weight on the tires on level ground, give it a few bounces at each corner. Now, without lifting the Jeep, climb under and re-torque all bolts to spec.

Who knows, may help.

Quick Reply: Issues with ABS and steering after AEV DualSport lift install