Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Issues with 5.13 + ARB install

Old 11-15-2008, 04:08 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Issues with 5.13 + ARB install

Yesterday I had 4wheelparts install 5.13 Superior rings and pinions in the front Dana 30 and the rear Dana 44. They also installed and ARB in the rear with Superior Chrome Moly axles. So I'm like a kid at Christmas until I hit 40 mph when I hear a very loud low frequency vibration that peaks at 50 mph and resides at 60 mph.

My first though was tire imbalance (weights got knocked loose in in the installation) so I rebalanced and rotated this morning. No change. So I took it in and they clearly heard it but didn't have any ideas until they talk to Superior next week.

This noise is independent of acceleration/deceleration or the running gear of the automatic transmission. The Mickey Thompson 35 MT's may be covering it up at lower speeds - won't know until tomorrow morning when I stethoscope it on the lift. These guys (4wp) are doing and saying all the right things and I'm sure they'll fix it - but I cannot figure this out. Does anyone have any idea where I should start to look?

Thanks for any help you may be able to offer.
Old 11-15-2008, 04:14 PM
JK Enthusiast

Sounds like a bad carrier bearing. They should have been able to diagnose that.
Old 11-15-2008, 05:03 PM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

X2 sounds like a bearing noise for sure.
Old 11-15-2008, 07:03 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks for the quick hints - I'll listen in the morning and update if I learn anything.

Very much appreciated,

Vann
Old 11-16-2008, 12:09 PM
JK Newbie

How about the wheel bearings,, did you swap the old bearings on the new axles? Maybe something in that area.

Old 11-16-2008, 02:03 PM
JK Enthusiast

New bearings were installed with the new axles. Today I put it on the lift and listened to the front and rear with a scope. The noise is definitely from the left rear but I cannot tell if it's coming from the wheel bearing or the carrier bearing. It is MUCH less noticeable with the locker engaged though.

I think I'll take it to the trusted 3rd party and let them inspect the fit and bearings.

Thanks,

Vann
Old 07-09-2009, 10:40 AM
JK Enthusiast

So what was the outcome?

Quick Reply: Issues with 5.13 + ARB install