Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Issue After Installing Links? TF 2.5

Old 08-04-2011, 03:26 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Issue After Installing Links? TF 2.5

Hey guys,

So I recently installed a TF 2.5 coil lift. My components were as followed:

2009 Rubicon Unlimited
TF 2.5 Coil
OME LT Shocks
JKS Adj. front & rear trackbars
TF Front Lower Control Arms

I had a professional Jeep mechanic do most of the work, and they also recentered my axles and set the caster back to stock. 4. something degrees, can't remember exactly. The Jeep drove BETTER than stock, everything felt tight and straight as could be, definitely an awesome setup.

Later, I began reading certain issues with the rear springs becoming unseated, so I purchased some Currie spring retainers for the upper spring perches, and also bought some JKS adj. sway bar links to make things as proper as possible.

Here's my issue: #1

After my mechanic installed the sway-bar links, including drilling the swaybar to fit them for the Rubicon (The lowest he could cut them down without losing all the threading on the adjustable portion of the links), they wound up being a bit taller than the stock ones. This gave the swaybar an angle of 6.7 degrees. Now the manual recommended +/- 0-5 degrees. I was told the increase in angle was perfectly fine by several sources, and was still on the "better" side of the spectrum.

The problem I am having is now the ride feels pretty floaty/flighty. I need to make many more slight changes while driving to keep the Jeep tracking straight on the highway. It also feels a *little* less tight around the bends as well. Could the extended links have caused this? Could the very slight difference in height affected the caster or anything else? I am thinking I need to get it realigned, I just didn't think that a rather minor discrepancy in the links would be too noticeable. The ride isn't bad by any means now, but it certainly is more flighty.

Issue #2

I feel a very slight vibration in the floor boards of my Jeep. Not really in the wheel or anywhere else, just on my left foot and a little bit through the pedal. Please note I've always had the steering clunk as well, which also adds to the annoyance. I was thinking it might be the driveshafts but it was doing it while stock, before any lift. Could it be something as simple as tire balance? I notice it more during highway speeds.

Alright guys, sorry for the long post. Any and all help is always appreciated!

Last edited by spyther; 08-04-2011 at 03:28 PM.
Old 08-04-2011, 03:39 PM
JK Super Freak

i would double check all the bolts on the control arms, trac bars, and sway bars. sound like something could be loose
Old 08-04-2011, 04:08 PM
JK Enthusiast

The flighty feeling is often reported by people who decrease the caster too much by installing too tall of a lift w/o adjustable front lower control arms.

Never mind, just re-read your build.
Old 08-04-2011, 06:19 PM
JK Enthusiast

I'll try tightening everything tomorrow though everything was put on tight with an impact wrench then checked with a torque wrench.

I know everything must be tightened at ride height but must the components be loosened before retightened, or can I simply just go ahead straight away with a torque wrench?
Old 08-04-2011, 07:08 PM
JK Super Freak

just torque away
Old 08-05-2011, 12:18 PM
JK Enthusiast

Alright, sounds good. So caster wouldn't be affected by extended links?

Quick Reply: Issue After Installing Links? TF 2.5