Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Intro/Build Advice

Old 05-23-2022, 03:32 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Intro/Build Advice

Hello All,

I've been lurking this forum over the last week, and figured it was time I make an account! I own a 2009 Jeep Wrangler Sahara. I've had it for about 3 years. I've decided to do a build on it (better late than never?).I would like the build to be DD friendly but also overland and off-roading capable. I would love some input on the following if anyone has some time:

I'm tossing up between KO2's and DuraTracs. I've read that some people have had issues with the sidewalls on the DuraTracs (punctures). Along with this, I'm tossing up in regards to tire size. I'm debating between 285/70/R17 (32.7x11.2) and 305/65/R17 (34.4x12.4). I live in Banff, Alberta. Winters here get pretty hectic. The roads get extremely icy in my town due to the lack of snow-removal. I want a beefy looking tire and stance, but have heard that a wider tire has poor traction on ice. I wonder if anyone can attest to this? I would love to run a tire that is close to 12.4 in width, but not at the cost of sliding off the road (lol).

The next thing I'm tossing up on is my lift...I would like to go with a suspension lift. I've looked at a couple lifts from BDS, TerraFlex, and Rough Country. The shop that is doing my build suggested RC, but I've heard mixed reviews about them. They thought that the TerraFlex Falcon lift kit I was looking at was far too expensive for what it was (the 1.5 lift with fast adjustment). I've read good things about BDS kits, especially with the FOX 2.0 shocks. Only thing is, I haven't found a BDS kit that includes coils and shocks for a 2 inch lift (additionally, if anyone could explain to me how multiple brands use FOX shocks in their kits, that would be awesome. Does fox own these companies?).

If I go with 33's I don't think I can go with a 3 inch lift (the smallest complete kit BDS seems to make) as I feel like it makes the tires look a lot smaller. I don't really want to go with 35's for the sake of making a 3 inch lift look more proportionally appealing (at the cost of regearing, and more for the tires).

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. I've dug myself into a deep hole of uncertainty lol.

Best,
Jeep182

Old 05-23-2022, 08:07 PM
Super Moderator

Received 480 Likes on 431 Posts

Welcome from Calgary.
You really didn't mention any company I would use their suspension on my Jeep. Synergy or Metalcloak are two brands I would use. I use a 2.5" MC lift, 4 x MC lower control arms to align caster and u-joint angles, Rocksport shocks (Fox ride like a buckboard), Rear adjustable TB c/w diff side raise bracket (made a huge difference on highway). I run 285 tires. Son has same setup excpet he uses the MC front track bar as well and got my Bilstein 5100 shocks. He runs 315 Mickey Thompson MT C rated tires on 15" rims. The Calgary Jeep Association is having an Off Road 101 for learners at Maclean Creek on Jun 4th so if you look them up and register you can talk to a lot of people there and view some great setups.
Old 05-24-2022, 04:36 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,944 Likes on 1,701 Posts

i agree with sixty4x4 above, and i also agree with your thought process of not going higher than necessary for 33s.

keep in mind that "shops" push the products they have access to and typically can make a profit margin on along with labor. most the suppliers that shops access (TransAmerica (4WP) etc) offer stuff like Rough Country, Rubicon Express, Teraflex, etc and that is why we see so many of those things out there.....not cuz they are so great. people simply don't know what they don't know. you're hardly ever going to find a shop that pushes metalcloak products simply cuz MC has very few relationships with shops. they are a bit more direct to consumer, and they have some of the best offerings around for our JKs.

We have several members north of the border, and i'd listen to them about tires primarily since they are living in similar conditions. One person I believe has used the heck out of duratracs is @Mark Doiron, unless I'm misremembering, and that has been hella lot of miles all over the us and Canada and all sorts of overlanding terrain.

Last edited by resharp001; 05-24-2022 at 10:31 AM.
Old 05-24-2022, 10:28 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 366 Likes on 290 Posts

The Duratrac sidwall weakness is a internet myth and they are one of the highest rated tires out there. KO2 is also a good tire along with several others. Stay away from a E rated tire for comfort and traction. Wide tires are good for snow, skinny tires for ice. You might want to have both a summer AT and winter tire with studs if ice is that big an issue. The lifts you have mentioned are crap and shops push them because they are cheap and they will keep you coming back to fix the crappy ride. If sticking with 33's I would not even mess with a lift but if you are dead set on a lift look at Metal Cloak. Good luck with the build.
Old 05-28-2022, 05:49 PM
JK Junkie
FJOTM Winner

Received 210 Likes on 189 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by jeep182
<snip> Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. I've dug myself into a deep hole of uncertainty lol.

Best,
Jeep182 </snip>
Mine is setup with a 2" lift and snow rated 285/70-17 tires. The build thread has plenty of details that might be interesting if that's the direction you want to go: https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-s...-build-309062/

Quick Reply: Intro/Build Advice